Help with a Honda GC 190 Engine.

So I purchased a power washer that came with a Honda GC 190 Engine for only $20 and I was looking to install it on a custom homemade mini (not built yet) but I was wondering a couple of things, first thing is there is no throttle control arm on it anywhere, there is a governor arm which seems to keep the throttle in check by going back and forth I was wondering if I removed the spring from the throttle control valve or the air valve whatever it's called could I then hook a throttle cable to the throttle control and not have the governor moving it on me.

My second question is, if I just adjust the governor there is supposed to be some kind of pin on the bottom to open it up fully or something could I just do that and then attach a throttle cable and go with it that way or what exactly. I will include pictures in the event a visual aid is needed.
IMG_20180909_193349.jpg
IMG_20180909_193353.jpg

This is a good solution for a header,
LOL, keep it up, I might dust off the nearly new GC I have sitting on a shelf. That remove throttle adapter is more like $28. Also, if you've ever had the carb off of the intake manifold, it is an effort in patience. Rube Goldberg design. The entire intake and carb really need to be redone ala "Yellowhand" but since these are throwaway engines, it's not really worth it.

Thanks for finding and posting this old, but still salient information Pete! These engines do have a following.

LOL, keep it up, I might dust off the nearly new GC I have sitting on a shelf. That remove throttle adapter is more like $28. Also, if you've ever had the carb off of the intake manifold, it is an effort in patience. Rube Goldberg design. The entire intake and carb really need to be redone ala "Yellowhand" but since these are throwaway engines, it's not really worth it.

Thanks for finding and posting this old, but still salient information Pete! These engines do have a following.
Ah, yes, they have a following. Very smooth running, nice mellow sound with a header. Carb is a bear to re-install, as you note, especially with the multitude of gaskets. Converting the air box to a K&N style cleaner is a real treat, too...but worth it. Shame it has a plastic cam gear with a puny belt. This engine does have hidden potential. I loved both of mine (160 and a 190).

delray

Ah, yes, they have a following. Very smooth running, nice mellow sound with a header. Carb is a bear to re-install, as you note, especially with the multitude of gaskets. Converting the air box to a K&N style cleaner is a real treat, too...but worth it. Shame it has a plastic cam gear with a puny belt. This engine does have hidden potential. I loved both of mine (160 and a 190).
I just wonder if any the gx200 and clone stuff interchanges with the GC engines. billet rod,flywheel. have any you guys seen how the top half is made. the valves and block/bore is all one piece and the cam is crazy and is run by a timing belt.

I just wonder if any the gx200 and clone stuff interchanges with the GC engines. billet rod,flywheel. have any you guys seen how the top half is made. the valves and block/bore is all one piece and the cam is crazy and is run by a timing belt.
It's a slanted split case design using a special Honda sealing material. I have seen posts on swapping a lighted flywheel from a GX to a GC, so I think a billet flywheel might work. The belt is always moving through hot oil so it's got to be fairly stout but still puny. I have not checked the rod length to compare or the crank journal...but you never know...they might be the same. It may be a "throw away" engine but it's a gorgeous case and well designed other than the intake "cluster-bomb."

So I am still a little unclear on what exactly I do with the governor arm so from what I read on that thread if I remove the kill switch that will make it idle and not be running at full speed on startup or am I misreading that. Also if I can get a link to that exact part Dr Shop Teacher that'd be appreciated.

From what I've been researching per say, is that if the carburetor has no adjustment screw I would need to change the carburetor to one with an idle screw, and also adjust the governor down by the bottom of the arm loosen the nut and then turn the pin, would I be correct in thinking that is the way to get it to not be a fixed throttle engine then?

Yeah I actually looked at the picture last night and saw there was a number in the photo and I went, I'm such an idiot. I looked it up on ebay found it the cheapest for $30 would love to find one cheaper but.... I also have an assortment of springs I bought a 200 pc kit off ebay not sure if any are strong enough though. If anyone has a picture of that engine with that particular part without the tank in the way showing how the springs are attached and to what it'd be appreciated.

13mm wristpin and dished piston, aluminum bore. The GS iron bore and ball bearing one is enticing. I dig the extra fins inside and out of the 190 PTO half. Cast aluminum valve cover on some, as well.

delray

13mm wristpin and dished piston, aluminum bore. The GS iron bore and ball bearing one is enticing. I dig the extra fins inside and out of the 190 PTO half. Cast aluminum valve cover on some, as well.
interesting...….:thumbsup: I think I could make one of them spin to the moon...…..:rolleyes:

I think this engine on the right bike/project can look very cool.

I know member yoop was showing me a boardwalk style bike he was building with this engine on it. pretty sure that's what you call them? bike will look good with the front exhaust coming out of it and all the tricks he plains on doing to it....:thumbsup:

interesting...….:thumbsup: I think I could make one of them spin to the moon...…..:rolleyes:
I know you like talking about this stuff and experimenting. In this case, Honda built this engine specifically to be a piece of crap. LOL, if you read their write-ups, it is the bottom end, bottom line, "home use" engine, not to be confused with the industrial and rental engine, the GX, or the model between the GX and the GC, the GS.

Just because you can wire up a Nissan ECU and injectors to a Hyundai, doesn't mean you should. :laugh:

Dave Miller built a bike he called "The Rat Bastard" that featured a GC engine, but the various board tracker sites show the most variations of them. If someone was popping those parts, I'd be inclined to use one of those engines, although I doubt I'd be installing billet flywheels so I could run a rubber timing belt at 7000 RPM. ;)

Dave_Miller_Rat_Bastard-67.jpg

delray

I know you like talking about this stuff and experimenting. In this case, Honda built this engine specifically to be a piece of crap. LOL, if you read their write-ups, it is the bottom end, bottom line, "home use" engine, not to be confused with the industrial and rental engine, the GX, or the model between the GX and the GC, the GS.

Just because you can wire up a Nissan ECU and injectors to a Hyundai, doesn't mean you should. :laugh:

Dave Miller built a bike he called "The Rat Bastard" that featured a GC engine, but the various board tracker sites show the most variations of them. If someone was popping those parts, I'd be inclined to use one of those engines, although I doubt I'd be installing billet flywheels so I could run a rubber timing belt at 7000 RPM. ;)

View attachment 108043
kind of hard to cut down a honda dave. it won't surprise me this engine could turn 7000 rpm's and still stay together with a belt driven timing setup.
but if you want I will stick with building Tecumseh's.....:laugh:...…….:thumbsup: