Help with a Honda GC 190 Engine.

kind of hard to cut down a honda dave. it won't surprise me this engine could turn 7000 rpm's and still stay together with a belt driven timing setup.
but if you want I will stick with building Tecumseh's.....:laugh:...…….:thumbsup:
I don't care what anyone builds. Just restating Honda's own opinion of their bare bones, light use, residential engine. I've talked with a few people who have used them on mini bikes, and they had no complaints. I built an exhaust for my GC160 out of a Cat handle bar half, and put it on a Powell to test. I stuck with the HS40 I rebuilt for it.

I'm the last guy to accuse of "running down a Honda" especially on a Predator-Lovefest Forum. :laugh: That GC engine is the ONLY OHV engine I've had that I didn't toss in the front of my house for pickers to grab.

Broken plastic cams and an occasional belt seem the only failures, and the parts are cheap.
Doing much of a valve job would take some effort.
I haven't ruled out converting a cam drive to #25 chain.
I've got a couple of them, and Winter is coming...

And, OEMs are starting to use a belt-in-oil drive, including a new small Ford diesel.

Last edited:

delray

here is something for you guys that like the honda GC . guy ran this worn out gc honda for 30 mins at 5720 and finally blew up. I would say that's pretty good. I could think of a lot of different engines that could never run that long wide open like that.
I think this guy likes beer...:D

I have a scratch built minibike with a Honda GC160 from a power washer. I custom made my own intake manifold to run one of the chinese mikuni knock offs and have had no problems. It runs great even with the jetting that came with the carb.

I have a scratch built minibike with a Honda GC160 from a power washer. I custom made my own intake manifold to run one of the chinese mikuni knock offs and have had no problems. It runs great even with the jetting that came with the carb.
Which carb are you running Littlebear? The "Chikuni" 22mm or something else? Also, did you scratch build the manifold, or were you able to modify one, and finally, are you having any issues running it without a governor? Thanks in advance. I have a GC160 as well I could use for something.

Here is some pictures of my GC 190. It has a header and air filter and otherwise it is stock. I have ran these on several bikes and they decent torque, run well,start easy and look cool in my opinion. A header and clone air filter will really help over stock. GC190 001.jpg GC190 002.jpg GC190 003.jpg GC190 004.jpg

Which carb are you running Littlebear? The "Chikuni" 22mm or something else? Also, did you scratch build the manifold, or were you able to modify one, and finally, are you having any issues running it without a governor? Thanks in advance. I have a GC160 as well I could use for something.
Yes it is the "chikuni" 22mm. I did a scratch build manifold with my mig welder and plasma cutter. I haven't had any problems with the governor being removed but have heard that they do tend to come apart at extreme rpm. (Plastic/nylon cam gear? If I remember correctly.) I think I saw a YT video on governor removal and about this. I just take it easy on it and don't over-rev it.
A large thing to consider if using a GC is intake and exhaust placements. The exhaust exits in front with the intake in the rear. Here is a couple photos of the scratch built bike from junk. Yes, scrap/junk. It looks good but it is built from various bicycle parts, pots and pans cut and rewelded for fenders, the clutch cover was an old rusty ashtray, etc. The rest of the power washer frame was built to be the side car. Total build under $100. Lol.....

Attachments

Yes it is the "chikuni" 22mm.
Thanks for the reply. Your bike and side care look pretty good for $100!

Here is some pictures of my GC 190. It has a header and air filter and otherwise it is stock. I have ran these on several bikes and they decent torque, run well,start easy and look cool in my opinion.
Owen, the most often asked question from people is how to hook up a mini bike throttle. I assume you're not reaching beneath the seat to operate the engine? ;)

I cant remember where I saw it but someone had fitted old Tecumseh engine tins to a GC somehow. It looked like they fit fairly well and more appealing than the plastic covers. Not sure how much was involved in doing it.
If it was a member here, maybe they will chime in?

delray

well guys I just pickup a honda gc 5hp for free. interesting motor for sure. not a honda guy ,but I think this would be a cool engine on a custom bobber bike with the front exhaust and maybe couple other tricks done to it so it doesn't look so unappealing. person I got it from said the pump that was on it failed with only about 2 hrs running time and it does look like it only has 2hrs on it. super clean....

delray

Broken plastic cams and an occasional belt seem the only failures, and the parts are cheap.
Doing much of a valve job would take some effort.
I haven't ruled out converting a cam drive to #25 chain.
I've got a couple of them, and Winter is coming...

And, OEMs are starting to use a belt-in-oil drive, including a new small Ford diesel.
I like to see that. if a guy had a mill and lathe I think you could fab a 25chain with a cam lobe fab to it.
here is what the stock plastic setup looks like.

I think the big plus would be to have a steel cam lobe installed and then go with a stiffer valve spring,so you can get little more rpm's out of it. I don't think a stiffer spring would last long on a plastic lobe. also notes the rockers would need a extra gusset tig welded across them. seen enough on youtube showing them cracking.

assuming the honda gx billet stuff will work in this engine so you could build it up....