help with a model a ???

Does any one have knowledge on working on a ford model a ? Workin on a chassis and lookin to pull the axles down and fix some wear . And doin some welding any suggestions on rods to weld the axle tube . What tools does one need to pull the springs out and not kill ones self doing it . Also looking for books on setting it up transmission axle drive shafts ya know shop books any ideas? ???

The springs will hurt you. PERIOD! They are loaded whether it is sitting on the wheels or hang after it is lifted off the ground. Remove everything as an assembly THEN take the springs off. The smart way to remove the axles is to drop the spring out of the frame. Remove the torque tube from the trans and roll the rear end out as an assembly wheels and all. Do the same on the front. Drop the spring out of the frame, drop the steering and the wishbone from the frame. I should mention to remove all the brake rods first... You don't want to bend them up.

Here is the proper way to remove the spring from the axles. You can easily fab a similar tool. Its just a spreader bar. Make sure to make the ends in a U shape so that they capture the spring. Also make sure to have enough travel in both directions to be able to release the spring from the axle/shackles but to also be able to remove the tool from the spring.

Model A Ford Garage ~ Model A & B Snap-on Rear Spring Spreader

What is the need to weld on the axle tube? I don't recall them being cast but its been a long, long time.....

Pics... Pics... A-bones are the original love of my life. 31 Tudor Sedans to be exact... Chopped and dropped...

Here's a neat site with specs and such.
https://www.macsautoparts.com/store/model-a-specs/#

Oh I miss those days, I helped my grand pap restore old Fords. Last ones were a 31 roadster, a 41 Lincoln Zephyr business coupe, and a 58 Edsel Ranger Convertible. We'd spend hours/days/weeks/months fixing up cars that should have been left in the boneyard, and my uncle would show up with a near pristine one that he found, and he'd proceed to cut it up to make a race car. I think he did it for spite.

Thanks for the info . I need to weld up the shackle on one side its wore bad on the tube . Ill get some pics not much to look at tho .... well not yet

Ok need some help .on the breaks i got the steel drums not the cast ones . Do the front ones come off the hub ? Or is it a permanent assy thing? Can the drums and backer plates be removed and the front end put together. Or will it put the spacing for the bearing off . Like in no front breaks drag axle gasser ?
And the rear brakes can the drums come off and the hub say on or is it a press fit thing to . Cant figure it out and not wanting to bust it .

Ok i cant win but there is a pic of my baby well new time killer at least . Fun little thing to work on and learn how things were done 90 years ago.

Well still lookin in to getting the rear brakes apart not sure how they come apart does one need a puller or the knock off nut thing ? To get the drums off .

pich shows right side up when i save it and view it. looks like the thing never went to waste over the years. it's incredible how much stuff folks recycle. looks like cool little project and possible begging to a cool little rod one day.

Ill have to watch the vid thanks this old of stuff has me stumped on some of it .the fun oh yes im having some fun .
Ya its not to bad given whats been done..to it briggs motor and home built belt cuclutch and a bucket of crap welded to it . But the grinder likes to eat.welds alot of work to it but its a butt buggy for now given time and if i can find the parts it will be a car again. But some pics from the operation theater the victim a 1928 1929 model a abandoned and for got about till now.

metal man, did the snow finally melt where you live? I'm currently building a t bucket (mostly chevy and aftermarket parts) but just as much fun as you are having.

Ya its warmed up here . Funky weather here for sure 80s in the day to30s at night and dry oh my for dry . Popcorn fart of a popcorn fart dry . It did rain some today but still need some more .

Ah wet wet wet rain so welcome .... keeps one from the project but needed .So much fun as a rebuild ...... um no not a rebuild a Resurrection and return to life as this does not deserve to rot

So many things i see rot away in the bush or pile that should not be there . As we let our past rot away from washing machines to cars . I do what i can to save what i can so the young or tomorrow can see it in the steel and not a picture the past . Im just trying to save the past ive never seen so the future can have a piece of yesterday . Im just a fool but my skill will let me save a piece of our past to show tomorrow what was yesterday . Maybe im wrong but if i can save something from the past it teaches tomorrow where they came from . As i may not be abel to do what i could before my injury i try still to learn even if i cant do if nothing more then i can tell you how its done . Ill save what i can and this project will be saved in some form even if the wrong way . My gift to tomorrow as i will hold what i can learn to pass it to them that can do what i cant . Maybe been talkin with the old 28.29 to long and need to sign off but its not ready to die yet and wants to do something again and it will ill see to that .... it will have life again

Ok more questions from the front i got the steering wheel off and its the wrong spline i have the one like a driver shaft this wheel is drilled out to fit and welded on .what other wheels will work on a 28 to February of 29 . Looking to get one to fit in the junk yard .... ya good luck but there is some old shit out the hell i found a steering wheel bearing on the shelf been there for ever and a day.

Harquebus

This thread needs more action and more photos. I really dig those Model A's and Model T's.

need-pics.gif

I'm not a huge fan of Leno (he's annoying) but this Model T he features is something I'd like to have. A bit of extra pep and a bit rough around the edges. Looks like a ton of fun...

[video=youtube;Paiqx1FuwVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paiqx1FuwVw[/video]