Help with color scheme

I am having a hard time finding a cool looking color scheme for my doodlebug. I've thought about just about every color but without seeing it I can't decide. Can anyone post some cool pics to help me decide?

I'm always in to the bright colors like this Snake Skin Green Pearl.....not my bike in these pics I borrowed them from the fastreddevil.

That's solid colour. I have been thinking about stealing the colour scheme from Jameson whiskey -(dark green, red, with gold trim) or go with my standard Guinness colours of black, red, and gold. I figure if you take inspiration from some thing (like a beer can) you can rest assured that there was a marketing team somewhere that was paid a ton of money to find colour combinations that appeal to the public.

T-Town Mini

I like the Gold this guy has on his DB build:

[video=youtube_share;2bmr-_DKCfs]https://youtu.be/2bmr-_DKCfs[/video]

Any of the colors that glow like that are going to be a good choice.

maknwar just to toss an idea out there for ya. I am going to be using hydrodip on my build when I start it. Not sure on the color yet for the frame, probably white but my parts I will be dipping. My fenders, tank, valve cover on motor, maybe the rear sprocket, torque converter cover and what ever else I can dip will be dipped. I do this to tools at work for friends and will be dipping my next PC case MOBO tray and upper chamber. Its a cool way to get a sick paint job that looks like it took more work than it really did. I know the picture is not a mini bike but it gives you an idea of what I am talking about. Its a picture of my PC project for my wife. Still need to do the upper chamber. I drilled out the MOBO tray and dipped it. You can do this to any thing. A normal kit comes in a 24" by 64" roll but you can get longer rolls if needed. I use totes to dip in. It masks off well too so if you wanted to mask a pattern like camo flames for example it would work good and dose not tare when the tape is pulled if activated right.

A dip kit starts about $70 but you can save some cash cuz you only need the dip rolls and activator from the company you order your stuff from. I don't use there primer or clear. I use cheep Rust-Oleum white primer and clear from home depot.
Sorry guys for posting a picture of something not minibike related guys. Just trying to show you guys what I am talking about on the dip. Hope this inspires some people :smile:

15369092_1170497756360928_6691542846188656659_o.jpg

Not to hijack the thread here but I have thought about dipping, I have had to use a bit of self control not to get into something new :laugh: that would be interesting on a mini for sure.

It will be done to my mini when I start it. I have a video of some channel locks I did for a guy at work when I was still learning how to dip that't pretty cool. I am curious as to it will handle heat as I plan on doing some parts on the motor. Some dipped rims would be cool. Would also be cool to paint the frame white and drip a bright color on the frame then blow on the drops with a straw or with compressed air to smear them around and thin them out and clear coat over the whole thing.

It will be done to my mini when I start it. I have a video of some channel locks I did for a guy at work when I was still learning how to dip that't pretty cool. I am curious as to it will handle heat as I plan on doing some parts on the motor. Some dipped rims would be cool. Would also be cool to paint the frame white and drip a bright color on the frame then blow on the drops with a straw or with compressed air to smear them around and thin them out and clear coat over the whole thing.
How durable is it, and can it be taken off if need be?

How durable is it, and can it be taken off if need be?
Some of what he is describing are techniques also used in custom auto painting. I'm glad these guys are discovering something new but have to laugh when some of them act like they invented doing XXXXXXX. You see it alot with the new custom drinking cup trend on youtube. I was lucky enough to be able to hang out with a guy that was around in the 50s doing custom auto work and learn a few things growing up (not near as much as I wished) using lace, water, oil, plastic bags, and even seen real glass ground and used in paint.

Durability will depend on the paint. Use good paint and it will last, go out and buy a $1 can of spraybomb at dollar general and well....

Some of what he is describing are techniques also used in custom auto painting. I'm glad these guys are discovering something new but have to laugh when some of them act like they invented doing XXXXXXX. You see it alot with the new custom drinking cup trend on youtube. I was lucky enough to be able to hang out with a guy that was around in the 50s doing custom auto work and learn a few things growing up (not near as much as I wished) using lace, water, oil, plastic bags, and even seen real glass ground and used in paint.
Durability will depend on the paint. Use good paint and it will last, go out and buy a $1 can of spraybomb at dollar general and well....
I have painted enough to know prep work will make or break your project. I am going to paint my mini, but thought if you can lay this over some epoxy primer and remove if the color was not what you had in mind, that would be cool. It appears to be in line cost wise with decent paint. Using lace, water, and oil seems pretty interesting. Back in the day huh :thumbsup:

I'm planning on using the lace paint technic when I get around to painting my bike. I haven't decided on colors yet but I have a while before that becomes important.

If you're worried about not liking the color you can try this

https://duplicolor.com/product/custom-wrap-automotive-removable-paint

I have never used it but it might be worth looking into.
That is pretty cool and seems pretty easy to apply/remove. Thanks for the link :thumbsup:

Maknwar, did you ever decide on a color?

Last edited:
No problem, I know that car dealerships use it to advertise (the was a dodge 1500 done in hot pink in London here, couldn't miss it :laugh:) Just did a quick search and there seems to be many different companies that offer this style of product...