Help with H35 rebuild on my Huffy Hustler

Hello everybody, I figured I'd move this question here where it belongs. See photos of my H35, I am missing some parts, I have no idea what the exact model numbers are because I am missing the engine shroud which kinda stinks cause I can't just look it up on tecumseh parts site. There are a few number I got off other parts of the engine, they are in the first two photos - not the greatest quality and I'm not sure what parts of the engine they are because I'm at work offshore and he's 12yrs old lol, my little helper. The numbers read 51-0-73 on one and the other is 19-0-F above 54 in a circle. I eventually will most likely hop the engine up the best I can but for now would like to get the bike rolling. My first and main question is will any H35 shroud fit my engine or do I need to search for a certain year, model number, etc? Also can anyone tell me what the specific model number may be for my engine? I'm talking about the longer numbers that would be stamped on the tag of the shroud. Maybe it's a shot in the dark but hoping someone might be able to help me, I'm very new to the mini-bike world. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

capguncowboy

Does it currently have compression and spark? How much of a rebuild are you wanting to do? New rings, seals, etc? New points, condenser, coil? If you plan on doing a full rebuild, you should be able to find the correct parts once you've torn it all the way down. Your gasket kit, coil, condenser and points will be the same for all H35 engines. The same goes for the rings on the piston and a carb kit.

If you're looking for them, I have a metal full-size gas tank (1/2 gallon) and an H35 shroud I'd sell you. Both are in really good condition. The shroud has the riveted-on recoil. PM me if you're interested and I'll get you some pictures

PM sent, I didn't check for spark yet just pulled the head off, everything moves nice and smooth, cylinder looks great. The usual carbon buildup inside the head and top the valves. For now I'd like to just get it running, not trying to fix what isn't broke. But like I said after I get It rolling if I find it isn't enough power for my nephew then I'd start performance mods.

capguncowboy

PM sent, I didn't check for spark yet just pulled the head off, everything moves nice and smooth, cylinder looks great. The usual carbon buildup inside the head and top the valves. For now I'd like to just get it running, not trying to fix what isn't broke. But like I said after I get It rolling if I find it isn't enough power for my nephew then I'd start performance mods.
PM Returned. If you've pulled the head, then I would recommend a new head gasket at the very least. Check for spark and make sure it's strong enough to power the engine. Pull the spark plug and lay it against the block to see if it has enough to arc like it should. If you do, then you're ready to rock. If not, try cleaning the points and check it again.

The carb is the only other thing I suggest checking. Make sure it's clean and the needle, seat and float work correctly. Other than that, you should be good to go.

markus

use these numbers h35 45342H . It is the numbers off a 1971 mini bike specific engine (came off a powerdyne and still has original decaling etc..) It should be same as yours, 3/4 crank/bushing sidecover, non lighted. You engine is at least a 1971 I would say from what I remember seeing in the pics. You will be able to pull up the parts explosion/part numbers with it so you can search for whatever parts you are looking for. one caveat, the actual parts explosion picture on at least the H35's is generic and shows as a side exhaust engine so dont let that throw you off.

all the other numbers on the block are casting numbers, wont get you anywhere.