HF blast cabinet

I use that cabinet with sugar sand, its a smaller cabinet that we dont need very often, I do carb bowls and delicate stuff in there.
It will leak like a sieve when you put any grade media in it, tape and seal every joint.
You might be able to stuff a rim in there, doubtful, and if you did you still couldnt blast it because you still need room inside for your hands and nozzle assembly and room to aim and maneuver it around, so probably no on car rim or if so its gonna be a pain.

had that cabinet and the smaller one. returned both!

all JUNK in my opinion. you will need 100$ worth of tape, 50$ worth of vodka to numb your head after pounding it on the wall!

Wouldnt silicone work to seal the joints?? :shrug: Everyone knows anything from Harbor Freight needs modification to work!! :doah:

sure you can seal it up, but you have the advantage of someone telling you before you dump dusty grit in yours.
Seal it with silicone from the inside after assembly. Since I, like so may others discovered they leak like crazy after pouring in the media, silicone wont stick after that and tape on the outside joints solves it somewhat. a lot of tape and my cabinets are in an outdoor building so it doesnt matter if it leaks a smidgen there, so its still in use.

Hey that looks great! How long did it take to make?
Thanks. Because I could not concentrate full time working on it (working on other projects as well) and had some setbacks, took about 9 months. It would have taken longer had I not been furloughed when the gov't shutdown. I was working on cutting out the hopper at the time and figuring out how to make those cuts on my RAS took some figuring, and those 3 weeks were the only time I was able to devote a lot of time to it. Worked out great because I didn't have to start take some test cuts and stop, then wait until the next weekend before I could re-start from where I left off, etc. so I cut a lot of trial and error time down because I was able to follow-up immediately. The hopper came out exactly as I wanted it to, but the hopper is the only area where I am unhappy. I wanted to be able to empty the abrasive directly into 5 gal buckets, because it was so big and I did not want to have to stand on a step stool to use cabinet, I had to make the hopper shallow. In use I have to keep moving the pickup tube around which is a pain.

Per the plans I posted, I built it out of wood and plywood. The cabinet is framed in 2x2's, skinned with 1/4" plywood to keep weight down. The base has the hopper built-in. The cabinet itself is sealed, but it does leak around the doors, some. I did use weather stripping, but still leaks some. I did not go with the typical side door because I wanted to be able to use it as a front loader to get the maximum opening when putting in large pieces, but since I had intended it to sit under my wall shelves, I made it a drop 2 stage drop front door, the top part with the window opens for smaller pieces and then the lower part opens for larger pieces (the top part of the door is hinged on the bottom part so both swing down). Not the most convenient door system, but since its not a tool that I plan on using a lot once I get through stripping my SB and a RAS that I am restoring, I can live with most of the shortcomings and may chop it down some once those larger projects are done.

Paul

Thanks. Because I could not concentrate full time working on it (working on other projects as well) and had some setbacks, took about 9 months. It would have taken longer had I not been furloughed when the gov't shutdown. I was working on cutting out the hopper at the time and figuring out how to make those cuts on my RAS took some figuring, and those 3 weeks were the only time I was able to devote a lot of time to it. Worked out great because I didn't have to start take some test cuts and stop, then wait until the next weekend before I could re-start from where I left off, etc. so I cut a lot of trial and error time down because I was able to follow-up immediately. The hopper came out exactly as I wanted it to, but the hopper is the only area where I am unhappy. I wanted to be able to empty the abrasive directly into 5 gal buckets, because it was so big and I did not want to have to stand on a step stool to use cabinet, I had to make the hopper shallow. In use I have to keep moving the pickup tube around which is a pain.

Per the plans I posted, I built it out of wood and plywood. The cabinet is framed in 2x2's, skinned with 1/4" plywood to keep weight down. The base has the hopper built-in. The cabinet itself is sealed, but it does leak around the doors, some. I did use weather stripping, but still leaks some. I did not go with the typical side door because I wanted to be able to use it as a front loader to get the maximum opening when putting in large pieces, but since I had intended it to sit under my wall shelves, I made it a drop 2 stage drop front door, the top part with the window opens for smaller pieces and then the lower part opens for larger pieces (the top part of the door is hinged on the bottom part so both swing down). Not the most convenient door system, but since its not a tool that I plan on using a lot once I get through stripping my SB and a RAS that I am restoring, I can live with most of the shortcomings and may chop it down some once those larger projects are done.

Paul
Sounds pretty cool to me. I may try that someday.

I have yet to use my HF blast cabinet but it came with seals for all the mating surfaces, if it leaks I'll seal it up. I have a full size sandblaster that I set up a tarp to use that works great for large items, it'll blast the toughest crud off anything I have tried it on so far. I needed something to clean aluminum wheels and not blow the edges off them, that and I have a lot of other projects I can use it on. For $200 I feel I got a good deal, time will tell.

125ccCrazy

I have a HF cabinet that I have blasted a lot of small parts in but as others have mentioned they leak like a sieve.... if I was to buy another one before I used it I would try something like Leak Seal on every seam inside and out.... these cabinets need a good exhaust system to pull the dust outside which I have yet to do on mine...

markus

mine doesn't leak much at all, but every time you open the door a bunch of media comes out because the plastic door has baffle holes in it and all the media piles up in the holes and on the lip. swing the door open, media goes everywhere. Top load would be great!! Plus it would be MUCH easier to clean/service the window and light, you just about have to crawl into the stupid thing and have someone helping to to get the Glass out :no: And yes, without a dust system hooked up on any cabinet its gonna create a mess!!

My last one was a small tabletop one. The hopper was like a big U channel with flat sides the bolted on.....that thing was a leaker!!!!! It was one step below Harbour Fraught, it was from one of those semi truck tool sale's at the VFW back before HF started planting stores all over the US.

Buy this one from TP tools. You won't regret it for a second.

Doc
I have a cabinet from TP, I bought it over a decade ago and use the hell out of it. I love it, no complaints. Very well built and designed, and no leaks like the crappy ones from HF. Plus I can get parts for it when it needs servicing. Made in Ohio!! I still don't understand why people buy that HF junk, then complain about how bad it sucks.

I have a home made one A friend help me build in the 80's still going strong. The top opening prevents leaks and I have a shop vac underneath it to provide cabinet vacuum to help bead feeding. I can just barley get a frame it it but They do fit.

I have a dedicated small shop vac I will use for mine to evacuate the dust, I hope it will be enough. I will use my cabinet for small parts and also for etching granite counter top scraps, I draw and then tape a design and blast it then remove the tape to reveal the design. I used to do it with a T-Top etching machine that sandblasted and vacuumed at the same time but I sold it because someone offered me three times what I had in it.

I personally have one of those HF table top blast cabinets and have no complaints whatsoever. It has paid for itself over and over again. I blast rims (mini's) engine stuff, fasteners, and any component except frames. Frames don't fit.

I just read the reviews on the little cabinet ($120) version that I have and someone stated that they have fixed the sealing issue on that particular model and to look for the one with 2 latches on the door instead of a single latch.

Abrasive Blast Cabinet