History: Mini Bike Factories, Suppliers and Dealers

POWELL MANUFACTURING COMPANY

Powell Manufacturing Company
2914 North Alameda St.
Compton, California

Powell Manufacturing Company (PMC) was a company based in the southern portion of the U.S. state of California. It was best known for its line of motor scooters that peaked in popularity in the late 1940s. From September 1954 to March 1957, Powell manufactured "Sport Wagon" pickup trucks and station wagons. In the 1960s and 1970s, they manufactured the "Powell Challenger" trail bikes.

The Powell Brothers--Hayward and Channing Powell--started off manufacturing radios in the mid-1920s, immediately after they graduated from Manual Arts High School in Los Angeles. In the mid-1930s, they moved into scooter production. The Powell manufacturing facility in Compton, California switched to war production in 1942. After World War II Powell again returned to scooter production with the C-47, P-48, P-49 step through models. The Powell Streamliner model, used by U.S. Airborne troops during World War II, was copied and served as the basis for the original Fuji Rabbit scooter in June 1946 (six-months before the first Vespa scooter).

In the 1960s, the company reorganized as "Powell Brothers, Inc., and manufactured the "Powell Challenger" trail-bike. During this period, the company relocated to a larger facility in South Gate, California. Hayward Powell died in March 1978, and with Channing Powell retired, the company officially dissolved and closed its doors in April 1979. Channing Powell died in 1988. During its life-span it produced thousand of radios, approximately 1,200 pickup trucks, 300 station wagons, 3 motor homes, and tens of thousands of scooters and trail bikes.

Alan Powell test riding a Challenger in back of the Powell factory in SoCal. His job was to find design flaws in their frames..

19yr old Alan Powell put the product on the map by winning five Saddleback Park races.

Interior shot of the Powell Factory, ca. 1960's

Related Links:

Welcome to the Powell Registry

Powell Manufacturing Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Candlelight Guitarist® ...about Brad ~ The Candlelight Guitarist™
Such a great post.

What a cool thread. Has anyone written a book about mini bikes and different manufacturers? It would be cool to read something that has everything from welbikes to doodles to small manufacturers in 50s/60s/70s.

Posters would be cool too.
How many pages do you think that book would be. I just bought a recently published tote gote book and it is 187 pages. ( For sale in the classified section).

How many pages do you think that book would be. I just bought a recently published tote gote book and it is 187 pages. ( For sale in the classified section).
Was it the one they brought to the Tote Gote Fest a few weeks ago? I wanted to grab a copy of that but my brother was in a hurry and I didn't stay long.

I don't think a book would need "X" amount of pages. It just needs to be educational and show either old advertising and/or pictures. It seems there are a lot of manufacturers and bikes that are lost to time. A book would be cool.

Sensation expanded it's mini bike production in 1969 with the MB-6 series with the distinctive scalloped rear axle mount. They included models MB-6a with 3 hp Briggs engine, scrub brake and aluminum wheels.
MB-6a-t with Tecumseh HS40 engine.
MB-6b painted but not assembled including engine.
MB-6c less engine and unasssembled kit form
MB-6L with 5 hp Briggs engine, jackshaft, and internal expanding brake.
MB-6P "Mimi Chopper" with 3 hp briggs engine.
MB-6P-T Mimi Chopper with Tecumseh HS40 engine.
All were available with several accessories including lighting kit.
At the same time they also made their top of the line Go Devil MB-104 with 10" wire wheels.
MB-104K and MB-104GE
Sensation liquidated their inventory through Small Engine Distributors in Kansas City in 1971. Unsure of the exact relationship but Sensation designed mini bikes were sold thru Fimco Sprayer Co in Sioux City, including some rear suspension models. Howard Phelps, the original Owner of Sensation continued to sell and/or make some some MB-6 models under the Chief brand including the rear suspension model.

Attachments

PatrickCraik

This thread will attempt to record for posterity, information and photographs relating to mini-bike production plants and factories, both then and now. Unfortunately, most or all of these manufacturing operations have been lost to time and progress(?)

Some of the structures still exist, albeit it with a different tenant and a different line of manufacturing....but it’s still kind of interesting to see what it looks like.

Perhaps with any luck, the ghosts of mini-bikes past still haunt these places…..

Also included in this thread will be photos of notable dealerships, retail outlets, and trade shows from back in the day……

This may prove to be an arduous or perhaps even futile task…surely it will be a work in progress for some time to come…..but I think it's worth a try.

Think you’ve got something to contribute…? maybe a factory photo from an old trade journal or magazine…???

Post it up or send me the info or links and I’ll place it in the proper format from here we're going to try and keep it neat and orderly…….

I have already assembled a small team of crack detectives who are "working the beat"...I may be looking to recruit some more but I must warn you the hours are long and the pay is lousy...:detective:

Coming soon:
Stellar Industries
Harrison Research
RUPP Industries
Steen’s
Powell Industries
Michrina Bros. (Lil Indian)
and more........
I regularly drive past the address where Harrison was located. I was wondering if one of those current buildings is the old factory/shop? Thanks

Bird Brain

Thank you KustomKartKid for initiating this thread. Excellent work from all enthusiasts over the years. Most informative and entertaining. I find myself researching through these post/photos often. These stories and photos are what "Vintage Classics" are made of.

Thank you KustomKartKid for initiating this thread. Excellent work from all enthusiasts over the years. Most informative and entertaining. I find myself researching through these post/photos often. These stories and photos are what "Vintage Classics" are made of.
I agree. I hadn’t seen this thread before. Thanks for reviving it!!

Yeah what he said ! I agree what an excellent thread. I saw my very first mini bike in this thread it was a wren bird mini bike. I was 8 years old and it was 1964
I wore that little thing out.
I am so grateful that we have this forum and all the phenomenal resources and so many good folks…with soooo much knowledge
Thank you for this forum and I am really digging this thread