Honda Big Red new to me

Just bought a 85 Honda big Red 250 ...its not pretty (spray bomb) but its all there and seems to be maniacally sound. Not sure if I will restore it or ride it like I stole it. Who else is into these things? I could use some plastic peaces but they sure seem pricey...anyway Ill post pics soon if anyone else is into these things.

Hey ZR9B have owned several of these and they are tuff as nails. There are no parts to "restore" one. You can find a piece here and a piece there but you cant afford to buy them. The last one I had came from the son of the original owner. It had be ridden by his dad and only his dad. It was always kept in his garage and was so nice that the paint was not burnt off the exhaust pipe yet. Perfect plastic and original tires that looked like they had 20 miles on them. I bought it on Ebay for $1800.00 and hunted with it for 2 years. I decided to sell it because I was paranoid about not hurting it. I got $2500.00 for it on Ebay. And all this was about 2003 or 4. I have managed to collect enough parts to build another one but it will just be a decent bike as I have reproduction plastic for it and aftermarket tires and reproduction decals. It will be ok but not anything like my last one. The parts are on Ebay but you have to search and search almost daily to find decent prices. Personally, I would ride it and use it. Just don't put Carlisle tires on it. You will hate it and them. They are very heavy and make the bike suspension just about useless. They ride really good with the original tires on they. It has been a few years since I checked but you could still buy the original Ohtsu tires from Honda.

ZR98 I am doing a 3 wheeler to 2 wheeler conversion. I will post some pictures as soon as I can in the project logs. 85 to 87 are the most desirable years for a Big Red. My donor is an 84 which is a one off year and the least desirable. Good luck with either way you go.

she is a ruff one...I gave $500....I think I gave about $100 too much. motor runs good , the flames gotta go, and it looks like somebody painted it green. front break cable is froze the battery is now in the trunk, needs choke cable, carb leaks a little, good god what did I do?

Attachments

I can tell you from the pic that it has aftermarket rear fenders on it already. Front brake cable, choke cable and a carb kit is all simple Ebay fodder. Put the battery back in the correct location. You will be a lot happier. Ride it and have fun. You paid enough but I don't think you paid too much.

Thanks for the site..looks good. Now that the weather is breaking it will be time to get going on it. I didnt realize these things were so hard and $$ for parts.