Honda/clone basic carb cleaning detail pic

This is a great thread for sure ! :thumbsup: I've also watched the video with Lewis Stout...very sharp engine builder on these clone engines. I myself use a quality brake cleaner in a spray can to clean these carbs, followed by blowing it out with air. You also can use it to start a engine, its alot easier on the engine than starting fluid. jmo:eek:ut:

Last edited:

catfishman

okay, i used brake kleen, to clean the carb, just wondering about the idle jet, or what next to try, i am tired of searching thru all the threads, it is a stock motor, not many hours on it all.

I've found that the ethanol thats in most of the gas these days is a lot of the problem for these carbs stopping up. You can take the low side jet out by taking the big plastic idle screw out, or if you have the carb off and a part spray the cleaner in all of the bleed holes at each end of the carb. Heck I spray ever hole in mine while its a part and every part that I put back on it, then blow it all out as you go. Hope this helps. :sleeping:

catfishman

okay thanks ond, is there supposed to be a rubber o ring on the idle jet, and should i be able to clean the little hole at the end with something like a straight pin.

Yes you can use a piece of wire or a straight pin if its small enough, but these stock low side jet holes are tiny. I like to use the brake cleaner with the small tube/straw that comes with each can and put it over the hole in the jet and watch it spray out the other side ...followed by air. Yes there is o'rings on the low side jet, I like to use a drop of oil on them ...and carefully push it back in the carb.

Your local auto parts store might have a o'ring selection, if not a whole new lowside jet with o'rings is like a couple of bucks from most places....its the shipping that hurts !:rolleyes: