Honda GX160 crankshaft question

zeeman

I read all the posts about GX160 cranks. A guy contacted me wanting to sell the engine off his pressure washer. It is a pretty long way from me, so I want to be sure it will work, or can be made to work so I know how much to pay. I read that most pressure washers had a straight shaft, but it might not be long enough, or some had tapered shafts. Would the seller be able to tell what the shaft is like with the pump still on the engine? He's probably not willing to take the pump off to see. Thanks for any advice on this situation.

Wes,
Are you thinking of the GC160's? or the GX160. I have a mint crank for a GX160 if you end up needing one. it's sitting here waiting to be shipped to some lucky soul.\

The GC160 is a common engine on the pressure washers as well and they are notorious for having the shorter shaft. correct OD but wrong length for an clutch.

zeeman

Hey Grant, this is definitely a GX. It looks almost new from the pictures. The same guy who I got the Tecumseh HS50 on my Coyote from has it. It also looks like it has a slightly stepped shaft. It goes up in diameter near the block. Any idea what this would be worth, and if it is fairly easy to hook up the throttle? If I get the GX, it will be my first OHV engine. I've toyed with the idea of getting an Animal when they first came out, but since then, I've sorta straddled the fence on whether I liked them or not. Thanks for the reply.

nah wes that link didn't work. you must have tried linking to your email or something. gave an AOL page.

As for the throttle, there are several ways to do it, and lots of threads about it. we'll figure it out if/when you get it.

zeeman

When I click on the link, it shows the picture of the shaft, but It's probably because it's on my computer? I'm not too handy with computers. The shaft is only 2 1/4 inches long. I'll have to see if that's long enough. Any idea on what a good price would be?

If it's new new new looking and low low low hours a good price would be 50 dollars.:laugh:
Nah, those engines aren't cheap new so I'd say 150 would be a good price to TRY and get it for.:shrug: Lower the better of course. :innocent:

kbs8ball

I took a GX 160 of a pressure washer once and let me tell you that pump was on there...it was a 3/4" shaft 2 1/4 long...it worked out for me. those motors are awesome.

zeeman

Thanks 8balllll. So the shaft is not an issue being 2 1/4" long? What about the little 'step up' in diameter?

zeeman

Yeah, Grant said I linked pictures from my email, which I assume does not let others see it. I can't figure out how to post a picture from an email sent to me. Anyway, thanks for the replies. I might try to get the Honda and see what I can do with it.