Honda GX160 unconnected wire question.

Li'l Popeye

Hello,

This picture shows an unconnected wire (with the red connector on it) It comes out of/leads to the flywheel side of the engine. It's not the coil/killswitch wire; that's the connected black one on top.
All other wires are connected and have a purpose I'm aware of and everything functions this way. But I have no clue about this unconnected wire. It's not for any wireless devices...
All 3 engines have it this way.
They are hand started, not electric.

What is the use of this unconnected wire?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that is the wire that's coming from the charging coils ...as seen in this pic. I don't think I would ground it out !

Li'l Popeye

I'm pretty sure that is the wire that's coming from the charging coils ...as seen in this pic. I don't think I would ground it out !

You are right about that. I didn't see your post before I grounded the wire...
I started the engine with a disconnected killswitch In the "off" postion and than I wanted to connect the "unconnected wire" to the mainwitch, just to see if it would be for a remote kill switch. I noticed some sparks and thought; "dit kan niet goed zijn", which basically means: "This can't be right".
I took my multimeter to see if it was giving any DC volts. It didn't, turned my multimeter to AC and it was reading around 12V on idle and more volts when rpm's increased.
So you were right. Charging coil or coils on all three engines. But no rectifiers.
First I will finish my build and will see if the coils will be used later on or I leave it unconnected.

Li'l Popeye

Hello again,
I have been looking for rectifiers regulators, to make use of this wire. It is there, so why not make use of it...
I was thinking with a battery setup, which allows me to hook all sorts of lights.
Most of the rectifiers regulators have 2 yellow wires and another color, which I think I can't use, because I only have 1 wire coming out.
I did found this https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/briggs...ectifier-regulator-for-briggs-stratton-1.html
It has 1 yellow wire and 1 red wire. If I would mount this part to ground, hook the yellow wire to my "unconnected" wire, and the red wire to battery +. That should work?

Li'l Popeye

Hello,
I ordered a rectifier/regulator as in the link in previous post.
Anybody that has it hooked up, or knows if the descriped hookup, in the previous post, should work? Perhaps with a keyswitch between the redwire and battery +.

Li'l Popeye

This week the rectifier/regulator arrived. €25,- incl shipping from UK.
Had a chance today to see how to hook it up and to see if it would charge a battery.

I hooked the yellow wire to the unconnected wire from my motor (which gives AC voltage), grounded the box and connected the red wire to battery +. Battery - lead to frame.
Started the engine, reved it up a bit and it charges around 1,3 Amps.

Now I know the "unconnected" wire is usable to charge a battery.