Honda valve springs

Davis

I ordered a stage one kit from OldMiniBikes for a Honda gx200 and the kit came with new Honda 18lb valve springs and I thought the stock springs were already 18lb springs or am I wrong?

Stock clone springs are like 10.4 lb ....but I know some of the true Honda springs were 18 lb....but not sure which engine.

The 18 lb springs were from a g200 flathead Honda originally If I remember correctly. . The just happen to fit the OHV head and with the .850 installed height give around 18lbs at the seat. Good springs except for early coil bind so high lifts are out and you should check to make sure a .060 feeler gauge can get between two adjacent coils.

trinik7597

The 18# springs come from the gx140 head that has deeper pockets cut that's why they have so many coils ... Can bind in a 200 head depending on lift . And the stock springs are 10.8# not progressive like in some clone karting applications

I would change them my self.....look at the spring wire size, yours is probably a lot smaller diameter....and the 18 lb springs will have more coils also.

I would change them my self.....look at the spring wire size, yours is probably a lot smaller diameter....and the 18 lb springs will have more coils also.
Okay this is good to know and thanks. Unfortunately the "mini bike" specific header pipe had to be heated and tweaked to clear the DB 30 frame.

The 18# springs were originally yellow .. and yes you can definitely see the difference between the two 18# springs are taller and have more coils . And yes the stock springs in the 160/200 are 10.8#

Davis

These ones aren't yellow they are in original Honda bags and I did run the part # and they are 18lb springs and crap I really thought the originals were 18lb springs uhg!