Hornet wont start 3.5 hp 148 cc

Hello all, got this minibike last year for my daughter and she rode it all summer no problems. Started right up every time. Put it away for winter with a tiny bit of gas left in bottom of tank. Less than a 1/2 inch.

Yesterday I decided to bring out the bike so she can ride it and decided first to change the oil. I changed the oil and boy did it need changed the oil that came out was jet black.

I filled it with new oil to the top and filled the gas tank to the top with fresh gas.

Pull the cord nothing. Tried the choke nothing.

Pulled plug set it on head pull cord and I have spark.

Poured small amount of gas in cylinder put plug back on pulled cord started up idled for a minute then died. Im assuming it was running on the gas i put in cylinder and when that was gone it died.

So I put more gas in cylinder (this time a bit more) and I noticed some gas dripping out towards the rear of the bike under the seat.

Pulled the cord it ran again for a minute. While it was running I tried the throttle got nothing. It just idled until the cylinder had no gas left. The throttle had no effect on the idle

Drained half the gas out of the tank added some sea foam additive and let it sit overnight. Also gave a squirt into cylinder.

Woke up this morning same thing...idles until gas in cylinder is gone.

Im assuming bc there is spark and it does run when gas gets into cylinder its a fuel delivery problem. Im stumped as it ran like a champ last year.

Im not to smart when it comes to small engines so bare with me please.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you to anyone who helps us...my daughter is pacing the floor wanting to ride

20170714_122454.jpg 20170714_122508.jpg 20170714_122515.jpg 20170714_122548.jpg 20170714_122554.jpg 20170714_122534.jpg

I posted this initially in the wrong forum, before I had the chance to move it I got some replies. So im going to paste them here to help me fix this bike.
You aren't getting any fuel to your float bowl.

Clamp the fuel hose, or drain the fuel from the tank.

With a 7/16" wrench, remove the main jet assembly on the bottom of the engine.

Tap the bowl on the bottom of the carb a bit to loosen it up, and carefully pry it off the carb.

(You will want to pay attention to the bowl gasket and the gasket for your main jet assembly)

Slowly raise and lower the float and watch to see if it actuates the little needle. This is the system that meters fuel from your tank to your carburetor.

You can pull that float pin out and remove that needle and spray carb cleaner in it and reassemble. Note that the needle sits against a tiny O ring inside, so don't blow it out with too much air pressure.

This is a common problem with these carbs on engines that have sat for awhile.

Alternative is to remove the bowl as I said, clamp the fuel line with vice grips, add some fuel to the tank, and remove the vice grips. Move the float up and down, and fuel should start and stop. (Catch the fuel in a rag) This is the fastest way and how I do it.
And...

Not a Briggs engine- That is a Tecumseh H35. The carb needs complete disassembly, a THOROUGH cleaning, and (most likely) rebuilding. I would advise rebuilding it anyways as long as you have it removed and disassembled. Download for free the Tecumseh repair manual that has been saved as a "Sticky" in the Tecumseh engine topic section of this forum as you are going to need it. Youtube is your best friend right now as there are lots of good videos on how to clean and rebuild these carbs, which are known to be a bit finicky.
Michael

Ok so I opened a can of $#$!. I went outside and pulled the gas line off the carb. There is gas flow. I let it empty back into a gas can.

Then I went to remove the cap for the bowl (keep in mind i have no clue about carbs or parts lol) and a little tiny part fell out in my hand. So I ended up removing the whole carb and I have it soaking in seafoam until I learn how to fix it. I took some pictures including one of the little tiny part that fell out. So i guess i will start learning :(

20170714_170239.jpg 20170714_170254.jpg 20170714_170302.jpg 20170714_170325_HDR.jpg 20170714_170335.jpg 20170714_170330.jpg

buckeye

That is your needle that controls gas flow.
There is a good diagram somewhere that will help you.
You're going to need more than Seafoam.
That thing is nasty.
You also need to remove the screws that are on the side.
Those control high speed and idle.
They come right out.
Spray carb cleaner all over it.
In every hole and crevis.
Tooth brush to get all that gunk off.
You can purchase a rebuild kit right here from OldMiniBikes warehouse.

Last edited:
Ok....will tear it down and scrub it spotless. I have a question ..i was told my bike is 1971-1974... Can i get a kit to fit that carb being that old?

Ps i watched some youtube videos i think i can handle it lol

Im browsing OldMiniBikes wharehouse. How do i know what carb kit i need. Is my carb marked anywhere? How can I tell what parts i need...i did notice the gasket to the air cleaner is melted gone and the air cleaner smells like gas...would like to know exactly what parts i need

Im browsing OldMiniBikes wharehouse. How do i know what carb kit i need. Is my carb marked anywhere? How can I tell what parts i need...i did notice the gasket to the air cleaner is melted gone and the air cleaner smells like gas...would like to know exactly what parts i need

Have you already given up trying to get the original carb working? In the interim while you are waiting for that aftermarket carb to arrive why don't you at least TRY to get it going- that is how you will learn to work on these bikes. Come on man, at least put in SOME effort...
Michael

Last edited:

markus

Guys...ebay...made in America ...$12. Free shipping..ready to bolt on had to do it lol... View attachment 98505
In stock in america, made in china.......as long as it isn't riddled with metal shavings, the float bowl gasket isn't folded over upon factory assembly, the plastic float does not have a pin hole in it.....then its ready to bolt on :laugh: Those carbs are like sex panther Cologne "60% of the time they work every time" Heres to hoping you are in the 60% :thumbsup: Its s very good idea to at least take off the bowl make sure its put together right and blown out before installing.

Its s very good idea to at least take off the bowl make sure its put together right and blown out before installing.
That was my advice to him in the first place. Pasted in Post #2. That didn't work out so well.

Now that I see the rust in the carb, and which carb it is however, he did right with an Ebay special, assembled by nimble, young hands on a Chinese assembly line. :laugh: Nice to see a guy trying to fix an engine, instead of tearing out Harbor Freight coupons from Fan Boy Magazine.

Tell me more about the sex cologne. 60%......excellent odds.

Guys of course im going to rebuild the original carb. I took the screws out like i was instructed and scrubbed the $!#% out of it (yes with a tooth brush) I stopped on the way home and bought a can of carb cleaner and plan on re-assembling the carb. I will be asking 50 more questions here so thanks for helping. I also ordered a new plug it arrived today. Waiting on air filter and new gasket as well as my chinese built american stocked nimbley made spare carb complete with metal shavings. My plan is to keep the original carb on the bike provided it works after I rebuild it