how do i take a pump off a 3 h.p briggs and stratton engine???

i have a b and s engine i have it all down exept the part that actually spins the water i want to put it on a minibike :hack: :grind: and after i get it off i need to know what parts i need to make it move something:weld:

Don't bother with it. Try looking for a 5hp briggs motor. There is a big market for go fast parts for them.

Why do you always deter people from doing what they want. This person has a 3hp engine that he needs some help with getting a pumps off of, If you dont have any advice for the current problem then maybe you should move onto the next thread/message. By you coming into every engine thread and spouting off your racing knowledge just derails manythreads. Not everyone has many engines sitting in a garage waiting to be used... This is not ment as a flame but just more as a friendly suggestion, it just seems that you side track many conversions with your racing info when the majority here likes doing 25-35mph...

Last edited:
i have a b and s engine i have it all down exept the part that actually spins the water i want to put it on a minibike :hack: :grind: and after i get it off i need to know what parts i need to make it move something:weld:

Sorry for the unrelate post above.

As for your question. Most pumps are attached to the crank fours bolts into the block or the single into the end of the crank. Once the bolts are removed then you may need some kind of a puller to seperate the pump from the block.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
Why do you always deter people from doing what they want. This person has a 3hp engine that he needs some help with getting a pumps off of, If you dont have any advice for the current problem then maybe you should move onto the next thread/message. By you coming into every engine thread and spouting off your racing knowledge just derails manythreads. Not everyone has many engines sitting in a garage waiting to be used... This is not ment as a flame but just more as a friendly suggestion, it just seems that you side track many conversions with your racing info when the majority here likes doing 25-35mph...
You really don't know me very well that's all. It is truely the cheapest way to going about it. Trying to build up a motor that doesn't have and aftermarket support is very hard. Besides you will still be behind because the motor is still so small. By the motor being so small it will have to turn more then a larger motor.

It's either a stock 5hp with no mods turning 3,600 RPM. Or it's a 3hp motor turning 5,500 RPM to make 5hp.

I was guessing he didn't want to go "crazy fast" being that he only has a 3hp motor to start.

If you for some reason have a direct problem with me, just send me a PM.

A lot of the pump and generator engines have tapered shafts. The tillers usually have 5/8 or 3/4 keyed shafts,suitable for a clutch.

delray

hey minibike_king,maybe i can help little. on most small engines i have seen that are hook-up to waterpumps,gear reduction units,etc... have a short shaft that comes out and also are spline shaft or tapered shaft . if you have this type of shaft it will not work. sometimes you can get lucky and find a brand new crankshaft on ebay with a keyway shaft for very cheap. if you have no luck? it might be cheaper to find another engine.
also some of the briggs dont have a seal built into the side cover,because the unit that bolts up to it has the seal built into that. you still can install a seal onto the side cover. you just need to measure or mic it out for the right size or take it to a local small engine shop and maybe they can help on the right size seal?
:scooter:.................goodluck:thumbsup:

Last edited:
well here is my input i got a honda waste pump new motor awesome well we took the pump off and the shaft had a turbine on it so i got it off and come to find out i ruined a perfectly good waste pump because the shaft didnt have a key way or a tapped end for the bolt

Hey Jesse,

Don't throw it away! Remove the crank from the engine and bring it to a machine shop. They will make a keyway and drill the end of the crank for about 25$

You really don't know me very well that's all. It is truely the cheapest way to going about it. Trying to build up a motor that doesn't have and aftermarket support is very hard. Besides you will still be behind because the motor is still so small. By the motor being so small it will have to turn more then a larger motor.

It's either a stock 5hp with no mods turning 3,600 RPM. Or it's a 3hp motor turning 5,500 RPM to make 5hp.

I was guessing he didn't want to go "crazy fast" being that he only has a 3hp motor to start.

If you for some reason have a direct problem with me, just send me a PM.
MDB,
I dont have a problem with you per say, You are a very knowledgeable minibike/engine builder there is not question about that... I have been around this site long enough to know that the majority of this board does this for fun and have very tight budgets. Again I stated this in my first post, that not everyone wants to drag race and/or have the most powerful minibike.. We like having reliable and semi-safe weekend riders that wont rip the skin from our bodies if we spill.... Again I reconized that you have many years of building engines and the knowledge to go with and this is not ment as a flame, but maybe if you slow down and reconize where most users here come from and where they want to go with there bike then you will be able to answer the question asked. If you have any problems with what I am saying please feel free to take this to PM

Dave

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
MDB,
I dont have a problem with you per say, You are a very knowledgeable minibike/engine builder there is not question about that... I have been around this site long enough to know that the majority of this board does this for fun and have very tight budgets. Again I stated this in my first post, that not everyone wants to drag race and/or have the most powerful minibike.. We like having reliable and semi-safe weekend riders that wont rip the skin from our bodies if we spill.... Again I reconized that you have many years of building engines and the knowledge to go with and this is not ment as a flame, but maybe if you slow down and reconize where most users here come from and where they want to go with there bike then you will be able to answer the question asked. If you have any problems with what I am saying please feel free to take this to PM

Dave
No problem:sadcrying4:

delray

Don't throw it away! Remove the crank from the engine and bring it to a machine shop. They will make a keyway and drill the end of the crank for about 25$
Backyard Builder, i don't think some of the crankshafts with spline ends are long enough to machine and install a clutch on them? if he has a older briggs(60's-70's and maybe some 80's) that will be a problem. you could maybe machine what you have down to 5/8 with a keyway and then add a peice of 5/8 keyway material. center drill out the extra 5/8 material and then drill and thread the crankshaft out. then you could bolt the extra 5/8 material to the crankshaft and use the keyway to aline the two together? i would think with a clutch slid over the two and a harden bolt holding the shafts together it should hold and maybe have a friend machine this for free:thumbsup:
:scooter:.........:grind:save the old briggs:bowdown:

delray

guys,here are some pictures i taking of different crankshafts you may run into when working on a olding style briggs that may have a waterpump or gear reduction,etc... bolted up to the engine.
shaft is very short and spline

part that bolts up to the side cover has the seal built into it.

you might be able modifly peice of 5/8 keyway shaft and bolt it to the crank after it's turn down to5/8 with a keyway. with any luck maybe a friend could do this for free:grind:

here is one more picture of a shaft with threads on it. this unit was mount to a water pump original. shaft measures 5/8. also on this unit had the seal built in the side cover. i could see the part number on the seal. (national #141088) this seal would work for any briggs unit that had this type of side cover. 4 bolt side covers work great for jackshaft mounts or torque converters.:thumbsup:

:scooter:........................i hope this helps little for any you guys that might get into one of them

Last edited: