How many engines, and which are your favorite?

I was just thinking of how many small engines I have. It's kind of crazy. I own a small lawn care company, so that adds a few, but still. I own, and have owned a ton of small engines.

Not counting anything 2 cycle, or anything on a four wheeler, I currently own 15 small engines. Here's my take

#1 Honda, I currently own 3, but have owned others, they are simply the most reliable.

#2 A close second would be my Kawasakis. I have 2 twin cylinder Kawis on mowers, they start easy, run smooth, I have also owned a horizontal crank 5.5 hp kawi, and it was also very reliable.

#3 Predator/clone, I have 2 predators and have had the old blue clones from HF, they may not run as clean, or as long as the real Hondas, but they sure run good.

#4 My Tecumseh. I have only ever owned one, but it has been a very good motor. I would have rated it higher, but it runs poorly when it is cold, and takes a minute to warm up, unlike the Honda/clones which seem to be warmed up within a second of starting. I picked my 3.5 Tecumseh up new for $100, it was a steal!

#5 Briggs & Stratton. Sorry Briggs lovers. I love them too, every minibike or Tote Gote I had as a kid had a Briggs on them, and they usually ran like :censure:

I own 6 Briggs engines now, and they still give me more trouble than every other engine I own combined. Mostly carb probs. The Intek is a big improvement over the older designs, because the carb is easier to clean, just remove and clean the jet/bolt at the bottom of the bowl:laugh: but I still have to do it anytime a motor has sat idle for a while. The plastic carb fittings will also crack in extreme weather.

What do you own, and what do you like the best?

Mini420

ALL Predators........2 lol. they run great and im about o purchase a 3rd for my shelf:laugh:

inexpensive and easy to get ahold of incase it blows

Last edited:
I like the briggs and tecumsehs for all the nostalgic coolness of the old American made stuff, but its hard to beat the performance and price of the clones.

Tecumseh side popper any horspower, also my dad has a 5 hp on a snowblower, that he bought brand new in 1967. Still starts and runs like new. Only points/condenser problems and bad gas syndrome. Not bad for 45 years.

ive got 2 clones, 4 briggs flatties, 3 tec's 4hp, 5 hp and 6hp, a 4hp briggs ohv, and finally a 4hp kawasaki flathead.

everytime i see one for free. I grab it. I think its a disease....:laugh:

toomanytoys

Had a few predators for a short time. Good engines.

Tecumseh HS40, H50, H50, HM80, HM100. All of those are my favorite engines. Run excellent, no issues other than carb problems on old engines. The HM80 and HM100 were NOS engines.

I have one briggs a 2.5HP...

Last edited:
I had a Tecumseh HS50 that ran great, sold it. That engine, plus lots of fans for Briggs 5hp FH, made me want a Briggs 5hp FH. I have one now, love it for street riding. :thumbsup:

• 3, 5hp Briggs flatheads
  • 2, 6.5hp clones
  • 2, 5.5hp BSE 2-strokes
  • 2, 2.5hp Power Product 2-strokes
  • 2, 3hp Briggs flatheads
  • 1, 6hp Briggs flathead
  • 1, Honda GX110
  • 1, 7hp Tecumseh H70
  • 1, 2.5hp honda clone
  • 1, 8hp Kohler flathead
  • 1, 2.5hp Briggs flathead

Total: 17

I have 9, a predator 212, 5 hp briggs, a 3.5 hp briggs, 6.5 hp tecumseh ohv ,3 two stroke 25cc, and2 2 hp briggs. I like the sound of the briggs flathead better, but they are all very reliable.

Last edited:
2 Baja 97s (do they count?)
1 Honda 160
1 Honda GC190
1 Honda GX390
1 Briggs 3.5
1 Briggs twin cylinder in the lawnmower, don't remember the size
1 Predator and going to get another.

All run good except the 3.5 Briggs as I haven't finished(started) building it yet.

I have a humble collection of... oh about 12... or 15.
I dont know...

However, the best on would have to be my Honda gx200.
Soo nice...
:scooter:

joshua. c.

5 briggs 6 tecumseh (only 5 total engines in use) more if you count lawn mowers weed wackers and random yard equiptment. but i gotta give it to briggs, do the avalibility of racing parts and the fact that there tractor engines run great. 5 hp briggs engines can be real fun with some mods otherwise it woold be the tecumses, they are esyer to tune and (other than tractor engines) are more redily avalable.

running - b & s 5.5 tec
Robin 6.0
2 - Honda 5
1 - predator 6.5
Non - running 5 or 6 b & s
1 - Honda 5
1 - lauson
1 - Tecumseh block cause I have no clue where the rest of it is :confused:

shoot, i dont know how many of each but i have like 30 tecs and briggs engines sitting around not on bikes, and then a few hondas and clones and wisconsins, and a 820 powerbee. then you have to add the engines on all the bikes which brings a grand total to about... 55 or somewhere close to that range :shrug: :eek:ut:

fav has to be briggs

My favorite right now is an old 5hp fh briggs.I put it together from parts and it fired right up ,and is presently on my T-bird rat bike.But i must admit i have never gone into any of my tec engines yet,maybe thats why i love the old briggs.It's so easy to work on.