How much oil?

Hello all, you may have seen my "what is it" thread, on my7 Nova Minibike. It appears to be an older Briggs and Stratton engine, and I believe from the size of the tank and general engine appearance, that is a 5 horse model. My question is..without a dipstick, how do I know when I have put enough oil in it, without overfilling?

Attachments

The listed oil capacity for the model 130202 Briggs 5hp is 21oz. If you plan to run the motor at higher RPM (above 3600), I would run less oil to avoid oil being forced out the breather and into the carb. I would fill a 16oz bottle and let that be the total oil. Change oil often and use an oil additive such as Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Always use oil with zinc. My 2 cents worth...

Minimichael

The listed oil capacity for the model 130202 Briggs 5hp is 21oz. If you plan to run the motor at higher RPM (above 3600), I would run less oil to avoid oil being forced out the breather and into the carb. I would fill a 16oz bottle and let that be the total oil. Change oil often and use an oil additive such as Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Always use oil with zinc. My 2 cents worth...
I'm betting that 21oz will likewise bring you to just overflowing, as in Mr. Pink's diagram. And good tips, Mr. Trotter. Worth every penny...

I use diesel oil, which I also understand has zinc.

Last edited:

SAS289

I'm betting that 21oz will likewise bring you to just overflowing, as in Mr. Pink's diagram. And good tips, Mr. Trotter. Worth every penny...

I use diesel oil, which I also understand has zinc.
Diesel oil in a gas engine? Seems to be very popular these days. If I were a zinc enthusiast, I would research which oil formulated for gas engines has extra zinc instead of using oil formulated for a diesel engine.

Harquebus

To elaborate on Mr. Pink’s diagram, make sure the engine is level to get an accurate reading. Open the oil filler plug and fill oil to the top of the filler tube or add oil to the top of the threads In the tube, almost to overflowing.

You can get by with less (keep the oil level to the middle of the tube or thereabouts) but you have to be able to see some oil in there. Make sure you are not just seeing a basically empty oil sump with a layer of thick sludge on the bottom*. Don’t be fooled by that.

It is better to fill the oil in the manner I suggested because some of the oil will burn off and you want to keep the dipper/slinger bathed in oil, plus it gives a better safety margin for oil leaks or high oil consumption.

Last edited:

Minimichael

Hmm, I think this article bolsters my hunch that diesel oil's CJ-4 spec may be just where I should be for these vintage little flatheads. In a ballpark anyway... Then a capful or two of zddp additive ...if my wallet's feelin it. Plus I change often for peace of mind. Paying a premium for specially zinced and marketed racing oil sounds like overkill no matter how epic, awesome or choice your snowblower build might be. And detergent? Eh..

Last edited: