How to Chrome?

FunWithStuff

Hello. I have some fenders and handlebars on my mini bike that I am wanting to re-chrome. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? I'm new to chroming things so I would like some advice going forward. From scant research that I have done it turns out chroming may be a little pricey and if that is the case, is there any alternative to get a finish that is like chrome (like a spray paint color that is close to chrome). Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Lizardking

Electroplating at home is fairly easy. Although it's not crome, nickel plating can look good done right. Plenty of videos on YouTube and just be safe. I've done copper plating with good results.

Check out your local powder coater. They have a couple versions of, "chrome" powder coat that look pretty good. You'll never get the true brilliance of true chrome, but, it's a world away from any paint. The added bonus is, powder coating is extremely durable.

cfh

I use the chrome powder coating too. but you must spray a clear over it. they actually want you to powder coat clear on the chrome powder coat... but i find that kills the chrome look. so instead i spray 1k or 2k clear over the powder coat. if you don't do that, the chrome powder coat will tarnish and mar with finger prints and grease. with the clear coat it's very durable.

Chrome plating involves dangerous chemicals and should never be attempted at home unless you want to poison yourself and your family and turn your garage into a superfund site. DIY zinc plating is a relatively safe and easy process that produces a bright finish. Just search online for instructions and tutorials. I have zinc plated lots of parts and achieved very good results right from the start.

Lizardking

He's asking for DIY ways and these 2 options give good results with proper prep work. Powder coat crome looks good and can be done at home as well. Zinc, Nickel and copper fairly easy to plate and I've done it using batteries. Nickel can be polished to a nice shine.

Last edited:
There is no replacement for chrome. Period.

The OP asked about chrome plating at home, and Tom S gave the correct answer. You can do "anything" at home if you are smart enough to use Google. That doesn't mean you should.

Alternative methods of steel coating all have their places. But if it needs to be chrome, it needs to be chrome. This is what a chrome fender looks like.

Chrome.JPG

Hello,
Prior to retiring, I spent 37 years in the metal finishing industry. Covering all aspects of electro-plating, powder coating and heat treating. There is no alternative to true copper/nickel/chrome plating. Like in HD's fender picture. The powder coating advertised as chrome powder does not come close to true chrome. Just a more environmental friendly alternative. Tom S is correct, nothing you want to try at home. The real secret to an excellent chrome job is in the prep of the substrate. ( polishing & buffing). That will make or break what the end result is.
Regards,
Joe51

cfh

I don’t think anybody is arguing that copper/ nickel/ chrome is the best looking finish. It’s not really the point. It’s what is practical and doable at home. Does anybody *need* a high chrome finish on their Minibike fender or wheel? Probably not (doesn’t make your bike run faster !) The cost to do a nice chrome finish is easily in the hundreds of dollars. My crappy Minibikes are barely worth that in their entirety! So I go with the next best thing in terms of cost, time, durability. And that’s the chrome powder coating. I can chrome powder coat my wheels and my fenders for about 10 bucks and an hours worth of my time. Am I going to win any awards for these finishes? No but I don’t care. I’m not trying to win awards. I’m just trying to make my bikes look respectable without losing my ass financially.

does that mean you shouldn’t have your fenders highly chromed at big expense? I don’t know. I can’t answer that for you. But for me the answer is simply, no. when I was a kid I don’t ever remember having a conversation with anybody about how good the chrome finish was on their Minibike fenders... and frankly nobody ever says it today either. They just say, upon seeing my goofy minibikes, “wow you’re still 10 years old aren’t you?”

also I’m trying not to poison myself in my long tooth years either. Powder coating it’s pretty non-volatile. So it’s easy to do at home without killing myself. I think there’s something to be said for that. Also here in Michigan we got this thing called dirt. And we also have this other thing called rain. And when you mix two together you get mud. And anything with a nice finish isn’t gonna to be that long lasting if you ride your bikes

Last edited:

FunWithStuff

Thank you so much for all these responses! I was just curious what my options were to get a finish like chrome (not 100% the same as chrome but to look shiny, reflective, and mirror-like just like chrome is). I knew from just looking around that chrome plating was pricey, more than what I feel my bike is worth, but it's nice to know that it also is dangerous as well. My health and safety of me and those around me are FAR more important than any bike parts. Looks like I will investigate into chrome powdering as that seems to be the most reasonable and environmentally-friendly option. The nickel electroplating option also sounds nice too so I will investigate it further as well. Again, I appreciate the help and everyone taking the time to share their knowledge with me.

Most of the cost of chrome is the prep and polishing it accounts for 90% of the cost,I polish all my own parts and use a large industrial plater and just pay a dip charge my chrome cost is very low,this tank was a rusted mess I have a lot of hours in it and still needs a few more,I dont powder coat because you still see repair grind marks rust pits.The rupp rim was too rough to chrome heavy coat of primer and spot putty and chrome spray can called Spaz Stix you use a blocker .mirror chrome and clear,It has nice reflection and look better then powder coating,but still not chrome

Attachments

Where are you at in mi...like about 10 mile and graiot there is a guy that did a worn down carb slide for me. He did a great job and it was like 20 bucks. He plates loads at a time. Also there was a guy that did gun parts...he did something for a friend and it wasn't much...groesbeck north of cass Ave by the old gravel pits.

Hello,
Prior to retiring, I spent 37 years in the metal finishing industry. Covering all aspects of electro-plating, powder coating and heat treating. There is no alternative to true copper/nickel/chrome plating. Like in HD's fender picture. The powder coating advertised as chrome powder does not come close to true chrome. Just a more environmental friendly alternative. Tom S is correct, nothing you want to try at home. The real secret to an excellent chrome job is in the prep of the substrate. ( polishing & buffing). That will make or break what the end result is.
Regards,
Joe51
@Joe51, what do you think about a DIY chromate conversion dip to finish over zinc? You Tube vids suggest that it's a simple thing to do at home. But I've also read that chromate is a very toxic substance and a dangerous process. One site that I looked at says that the trivalent version of the chromate product is much safer than the hexavalent version. Caswell's product is described as containing the following:

- Chromium Trioxide
- Sodium Dichromate, Dihydrate
- Nitric Acid
- Sulfuric acid
- Water

The SDS Caswell provides is very scary to read. But the You Tube vids that I've watched show guys splashing chromate all over the place and on themselves, not wearing protective gear, and not saying much about proper disposal of the chromate dip solution or the rinse water.

Caswell Yellow Chromate

Hello,
The trivalent chromate's are todays RoHS compliant technology. From a health and safety perspective it is safer than the old hex chrome versions. Any zinc plated part should be dipped in the chromate to increase corrosion protection. We required all of our zinc plated parts to be chromated in trivalent chemistries then a clear sealer on top of the chromate. The trivalent chemistries are not as protective as the hex versions. The sealers increase protection more. In either case tri or hex wear rubber gloves. Like the dish washing type. Not the latex shop type.
Disposal..... I've done home plating as well after retirement. I disposed of my extra chemicals at a local plater I know.
Sealers and chromates apply better when heated. Caswell should be able to tell you the ranges they suggest.
Regards,
Joe51