How to make my own silencer for a H50 Motorsports engine?

I could buy a slip on but I would prefer to try to make my own for aesthetic and fitment reasons ...
I will come off the motor with a flange to a 1" header pipe, swing the pipe down to the mounting plate and 90 degree bend it so it goes straight back to a silencer ...

How do I make one that allows the engine to breath but quiets it down a bit from just a header ..
I will sacrifice power/torque for a quieter motor.

Kevin

Large pieces of tubing, small piece in the center, stuff the gap with steel wool, pull small piece of tubing out, Could just hear the gun shot,,, err,,, I mean engine,,, ya right ,, engine,,, If you make the small piece of tubing out of heavy screen, add a cap on the end to hold it in. Either steel wool, fiberglass,, or baffles to break up the sound waves. A piece of flat sheet metal, same width as the large tube, then twist it in a spiral. if you put it in a piece of tubing when you twist it, it works better. Used to be able to buy "Snuff or Not". Here is a vid of a homemade one, add 2. You can turn it to quiet, or open to scream! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8-AXQ8yAA Several other links on youtube for other ideas. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=home+made+baffles

Last edited:
Would steel wool be safe? That stuff is highly combustable, but I'm not sure of the combustion temperature
Actually you may be right, I know on a 22 rifle it did just fine, but might heat up enough to burn. Tho One of the links I watched on youtube showed a stainless pot scrubber type of steel wool. Maybe a steel inset is better. As a pup we would repack our glasspaks on the cars with fiberglass.

How about one of those straight mufflers off of like an eight horse or something like that. Mounted about half way or three quarters down the pipe. should give you breathing and quiet it down a bit.

Look up homemade glasspack. I've made my fair share with stainless steel wool and they work fine. You can use regular fiberglass house insulation to build them but on a v8 car they might last 6-8 months on the race track. No experience on single piston engines but I don't know why it wouldn't last longer.

I could buy a slip on but I would prefer to try to make my own for aesthetic and fitment reasons ...
I will come off the motor with a flange to a 1" header pipe, swing the pipe down to the mounting plate and 90 degree bend it so it goes straight back to a silencer ...

How do I make one that allows the engine to breath but quiets it down a bit from just a header ..
I will sacrifice power/torque for a quieter motor.

Kevin
This is not mine but I saved it. It was posted by [MENTION=339]delray[/MENTION] some time back when he built his Warrior. He took washers and cut them on one side, then flared the ends away from one another, welded the washers together to make a spiral and then slid it in a pipe and welded it in place with a couple of rosette welds through the pipe.

He said it worked well. Hopefully he will chime in and explain it further.

Its easy enough and cheap enough to give it a try. I plan to build one for my Warrior when I get to the exhaust system. One thing about it, it wont burn out over time.

Here are some pics now that you are thoroughly confused.

Doug

Last edited:
Nice Idea with the washers FOMOGO. I might try that on my project depending how loud it is. I purchased an OldMiniBikes none Rupp pipe for mine but haven't fired it yet. So don't know how loud it is going to be.:shrug:

Fiberglass woven. Steel wool will work, if you have it far enough from the exhaust valve. There is a NOS vintage "glass pack" on Ebay now MFGR'd by GEM. Looks like exactly what you're looking for.

Not sure on a 4 stroke engine but these are very loud on a 2 stroke. I was thinking about mounting one of these onto the pipe to see how it works on a mini bike. Not this exact silencer but one that is similar.
:thumbsup: Loud pipes save lives. (And piss off the neighbors) Thanks, good to know. I just saw it on Ebay and was thinking about Kevin's post. If I were in his shoes, I'd go with that fancy RLV. I have a current Raptor 1 exhaust that I need to mellow out and was thinking of that RLV.

:thumbsup: Loud pipes save lives. (And piss off the neighbors) Thanks, good to know. I just saw it on Ebay and was thinking about Kevin's post. If I were in his shoes, I'd go with that fancy RLV. I have a current Raptor 1 exhaust that I need to mellow out and was thinking of that RLV.
Dave,
Not sure that you have ever used a RLV. About all they do is "take the edge off" of the piercing noise. They are still pretty loud.
Michael

Well, I sold the Nelson to a member so now I've backed myself into a corner ...

I dug a few things up at work and will build a test pipe using the design FOMOGO posted previously ...

You know that looks like you are working on the kitchen sink....... lol..... I know, I know, your prototyping.....

I do like the spring idea. Sure is easier than welding all those washers together. And that spring has flat wire instead of round wire. Should be the same affect as the washers.

I am curious to see/hear the results.

Doug