HS 40 after market air cleaner

markus

The typical Tecumseh carburetor air cleaner bolt pattern crosses with the Tillotson HL carbs that are common use on the kart racing style engines so a pod adapter, velocity stack, rock guard, etc., usually bolt right on. G.E.M. I believe still produces one. With that said I have not used a premade pod adapter on one before, just velocity stacks and Rock guards. Sometimes the bore is larger than the carb inlet, but so far I have found it has not been enough that it did not seal against the carb body of a tec though......cant really get larger than the bolt spacing so its usually good.

you can also make one pretty easy out of something like a PVC endcap ( I made the one out of a 1 3/4 fuel cap on the bike pictured below :laugh:....not the best idea btw) just have to get the ID sizing that works with the filter you want to use.

And there is no Jet change, just some needle adjustments on a typical Tecumseh carb that has high and low speed needles.

Last edited:
I would like to put an pod type filter on my Tecumseh Hs40 Is this possible with an adapter of sorts?
Yes, you can bolt on adapters, then clamp on a pod filter. But why would you do this? It sucks up room, it puts the filter right above that rear tire, it makes dealing with the choke much more difficult, you'll have to bend the lever most likely, and that is if you don't go too big. No reason for it.

It just takes an aluminum adapter that bolts to the carb. You'll have to rejet the carb due to the extra air.
Do you just drill a hole somewhere on the carb body? I've found that simply increasing the fuel by turning the high speed jet out a bit does the trick, although a dude who used to hang out here did drill out that lower main jet slightly, hogged out both valve pockets and set the governors to run at 4800 RPM on a regular basis.

LOL, people get used to these questions in line with Predator motors, and all of the answers start to flow together. Teasing you about drilling the carb body hole. And why would anyone feel the need to put a giant ugly piece of foam on the back of their Tecumseh?

Sprocket86

I'm with Havasu Dave on this one. It's tough to beat a factory Tecumseh round style air cleaner, especially with the built in mini bike dirt shield cover.

Just my 2 cents tho.

I'm with Havasu Dave on this one. It's tough to beat a factory Tecumseh round style air cleaner, especially with the built in mini bike dirt shield cover. Just my 2 cents tho.
LOL, no, I suck too. Here is a Del Orto horn machined to fit a Tecumseh carburetor on my Powell. :laugh: Just a screen, no filter. Gov set at max, fresh rebuild, main jet orifice drilled larger.

Sprocket86

Sweet! That motor runs so hard and fast the head bolts are wanting to escape lol!

I'd imagine you have yet to fit the upper fuel tank bracket when this pic was taken.

There is really nothing else quite like a Powell Challenger mini bike, very unique design they have!

Sweet! That motor runs so hard and fast the head bolts are wanting to escape lol!

I'd imagine you have yet to fit the upper fuel tank bracket when this pic was taken.

There is really nothing else quite like a Powell Challenger mini bike, very unique design they have!
Aye, the tank mount was out for chrome when the photo was taken. That engine was brand new, hogged out valve chambers, new valves, new seals, new .020 piston, rings, bore, drilled out high speed jet, and governor set at maximum, everything turned clockwise. I bought the motor like that from a premier, awesome Tecumseh guru who no longer hangs out here. It used to be unique, until someone "borrowed" my seat idea.

Sprocket86

Way cool Dave! Love the white wall tires, did you do that yourself? and yes that seat looks like it would be very comfy to spend some time in the saddle.

It's to bad we lost some members on here but I do understand that internet hangout locations require some thick skin at times lol!

No, I purchased the tires in a white wall. They are DOT rated to 60 MPH. I do not paint tires. I stole the idea from I believe Tote Gote Trav or one of the Gote guys. Pretty cool tires. Also put a set on my last Tote Gote. Scooter tires.

Someone could post the link of the carb adapter for the pod filters. Markus answered the question though, any Tillotson HL carburetor adapter will bolt up to the Tec, and a pod filter clamped to it.

The guy I was referring to did not leave in disgust, he simply moved on. Cant sell too many brand new Tec long blocks, when he needed $400 to end up right with it, and a Predator is less than a hundred bucks. Only dumbshits like me buy them at that price. :laugh:

T-Town Mini

Here's an example of a PVC air filter adapter mounted on a Tecumseh:

It can be done and it's a cheap alternative but, if a metal adapter is available I'd recommend utilizing that for it's durability.

And why would anyone feel the need to put a giant ugly piece of foam on the back of their Tecumseh?
I personally didn't like the pod on my tec and it went right back on ebay after one day. I wouldn't mind finding something that was cleanable that fit the factory breather but riding where I do the open filters just get clogged up with mud and junk faster.