HS-40 Breather Assembly Q

I don't have any experience with small block Tecumsehs so need a little hand-holding here. Is the breather housing one piece or two? Just looking to replace the element and it appears pulling it out of the narrow slot is not correct. Also, the housing gasket looks to be sandwiched rather than a slide-over affair. Need guidance on both issues- thanks.

markus

Yes that gasket is sandwiched in between. If you look on the short sides you can see dimples that hold that back part with the check valve onto the outer cover. What I do is break off what I can of that old gasket, then shred off the remains on the bench grinder (wire wheel side of course) I push pretty hard and into the corner and you can usually get most of the gasket dug out andthen use a screwdriver to pry the back cover off to clean and install new gasket. the more of the gasket you an get out the easier it comes off.

The breather filter element is just a thin small square of open cell foam in them. and it is R/R'ed through that slot actually. Big problem is Tecumseh did away with them long ago, the replacement (same parts number) is more like a chunk of one of those crap reusable HVAC air filters and its kinda fat to fit in the slot.

sometimes you can find the Old style on ebay. You may be able slip in a small square of a scotch brite pad If you feel you must have a filter there. you do always want to try and dig the old one out ( small pic works best and then some forced air from the backside) if its a pretty dirty engine to begin with and if you paint you want to make sure you dont fill it up heavy in there so it an still breath, unless you like oil leaks :laugh:

^Top-shelf response and I thank you. I did see the dimples. I am keeping this engine in as-found condition but will take it into furture consideration not to load-up the vent with paint. Roger on the new element- looks inappropriate as a replacement but I'll try to use it nonetheless.