Hs-40 build

That cam MCR jig and machining are pure magic. I sent a PM begging you to do mine. For cash, prizes, and a new car.*

*Not a real car, a toy car, plus cash and no prizes, individual cars may vary, and may be imaginary, or not supplied where state and local laws, weather, planetary alignment, or funds prohibit.

delray

they did make for the L heads (HSSK and LH195sp's)
……...yes ...yes your correct markus

when I seen the LH 195 I was thinking of the 195EA and that's a ohh style motor...….:doah:

I did do a random search on a OHH55-69024F and a OHH60-71131D and they both cam up with a 35616 part number for the lifter. that lifter for sure would be for the compression relief cams.
I do have a new HSSK motor I purchase at a swapmeet but it's all apart and missing the cam and lifters....:shrug:...:doah:

for some reason you do end up with the wrong lifters ,it's not hard to grind them down little if you have the equipment to do it.

highly recommend guys purchasing new lifters building a motor with a new cam. I also prefer using the oils with high zinc added. I have not had any problems with any of my dyno cams. just pulled a 255 cam out of a ohh-motor that has been in there for 3 years and still looks new.

delray

dave
*Not a real car, a toy car, plus cash and no prizes, individual cars may vary, and may be imaginary, or not supplied where state and local laws, weather, planetary alignment, or funds prohibit.
you funny......:laugh:

delray

markus
they show that OHV one as a replacement for it, as well as the wonky plastic one.
yes all plastic now:doah:

I have found some nice use steel cams on ebay cheap and pick up couple new ones in the pass. I want to look into the factory ohh-steel cam with compression relief and see how much it is harden. it appears to be harden ? I have a person this fall that can test it and see how harden it is. like to build a mild ohh-engine this winter with 1.3 rockers. if it's harden I will go with 20 pound springs if not 18 pounds will work. I believe the factory lift is around 195 and with 1.3 rockers that would put it around 253.5 lift. that would make a good mild cam for sure. how well it will work? something to play around with and see...:thumbsup:

delray

here is the area that needs attention on the side cover where the cam rides. on the older covers before Tecumseh started to make the compression relief like the ones they have in the ohh-motors. the area where the cam/bushing was had a large opening on top. i'm sure it was for the oil to feed the bushing. maybe little over kill on the engineers.

that area needs to be welded up. unfortunately I can not find pictures I took of welding that area up and remachining that area out. :doah:
I end up enclosing it and drilling a small 1/8 hole from the top to feed oil into the bushing.

here you can see on a ohh-motor that area is more enclosed.

what will happen if this area is not filled in correct the cam relief arm will catch the open area and break the arm or worse damage the motor.

first it will probably push the thin thurst washer in the hole and bend it and then things will lock up

thin thrust washer.

I was wondering about that lever delray , we had one come off in the open class when we were racing karts and it got between the cam gear and crank gear and proceeded to push the jug off the block , but this was a clone engine. Good job on the cam journal .

delray

end up going with the dyno retainers and keepers. for some reason the animal keepers I have a different off set then the first kind that was use on another members engine build. still need to look into that and figure that one out? this was the only thing I really had a problem that came up on this build.
dyno setup on the left and briggs on the right.

when using the dyno retainers I had to machine little material off from the inner step. retainers where originally for a briggs dual spring setup and I was using a single fat spring that needed little bit more inner clearance. when installed they gave me the correct spring height I needed.

springs are animal 18 pound springs and are the recommended spring rate for my 245 dyno cam that I will be using.

here it is with the correct spring height and setup installed….:thumbsup:

set my lifters and valves clearance at -.006(on the tight side,snug with the feeler gauge)

delray

here are the part numbers for the retainers and keepers I use from dyno cams....:thumbsup:

retainers:dynocams DCSH102
keepers: dynocams DCSH103

end up going with the dyno retainers and keepers. for some reason the animal keepers I have a different off set then the first kind that was use on another members engine build. still need to look into that and figure that one out? this was the only thing I really had a problem that came up on this build.
dyno setup on the left and briggs on the right.

when using the dyno retainers I had to machine little material off from the inner step. retainers where originally for a briggs dual spring setup and I was using a single fat spring that needed little bit more inner clearance. when installed they gave me the correct spring height I needed.

springs are animal 18 pound springs and are the recommended spring rate for my 245 dyno cam that I will be using.

here it is with the correct spring height and setup installed….:thumbsup:

set my lifters and valves clearance at -.006(on the tight side,snug with the feeler gauge)
delray , what is diameter of those retainers and springs ? The wire diameter of the springs looks massive , but I'm not familiar with the Briggs OHV springs . Thanks for the numbers on the retainers .

delray

ond, I really can't measure diameter now . it's all glue together. the outside diameter of the spring is not much different then the factory. if look at the picture with the springs installed you can see the upper retainer and the outside spring is about the same size as the upper retainer. inside is where I believe it gets bigger in the direction. why they are built like that? that's something briggs engineers came up with.
surprisingly you can go up to about .275 lift with these little guys and not have coil bind. dyno makes a 16 pound spring that is ideal for a stock ohh-cam in a modified engine that can pull up to 4700 rpm's. 18 pound ideal for a 245 dyno cam. 20 pound for a 255 dyno cam and a 26 pound ideal for a 275 cam. so you can stick some pretty healthy cams in a flathead with just a briggs animal spring...…..:thumbsup:

I bought the amimal springs from comp but mine say hi load. They are .107 diameter wire and my stock tec springs are .084 diameter. The tec spring is also longer the the other one. I may have ordered the wrong animal springs but these are stronger than the tec ones and shorter. I ordered the dyno retainers and keepers you gave the info on and also ordered some 22lb clone springs so depending on the cam used I will see what springs I will use. I have a mec release cam and may send it to isky, or just leave it alone but it has about .010 less lift than the stock cams with the compression bump on the exhaust basecircle.
DSC01266.JPG DSC01267.JPG

delray

interesting ole4, I wonder what kind of spring pressure you wound get when stuffing them clone springs into a hs-motor with less then 1inch spring height. where you thinking going with a 275 lift ? will it be on your powell build.
I got two different animal springs that dyno list and they both don't have the spring rate:doah:
I wish they wound list more info,for example spring rate and height.
I do remember randy at dyno telling me they have one set of animal springs that only rate 15+ at .800 spring height
if you go to there web site they have your comp spring with no info and another set with no info too....:doah:
i'm thinking the other ones are the 15+ springs? and yours 16+ ? you have a spring tester . what did they rate at?

https://www.dynocams.com/item/26826/

https://www.dynocams.com/item/gp-971-2/

I do have a home made setup for my drill press using a food scale that goes to 75 lbs. I check then. The clone installed height is between .790 and 850 depending on keeper groove height and just the different valve lengths. The SI valves are longer than the stock ones but stock valve spring installed height is around .850. on a clone.

delray , I checked out those keepers the DCSH 103 on Dyno cams website , and I never seen a keeper made like that ….thanks for posting !