Hs40 55408c side cover

cfh

The bracket you have at the 6 oclock position is positioned wrong. move it to the 9 oclock position. and yes it shares the same mounting hole as the 12 oclock bracket (the hole that's stripped!) so you probably need to fix that. did you try chasing it with a 5/16-24 tap?

Bbqman

The bracket you have at the 6 oclock position is positioned wrong. move it to the 9 oclock position. and yes it shares the same mounting hole as the 12 oclock bracket (the hole that's stripped!) so you probably need to fix that. did you try chasing it with a 5/16-24 tap?
Yes but it looks like someone tried to fix it before I got ahold of it. They hole is pretty messed up. The tap doesn't grab any metal.

1971_MB1A

If they share a hole they won't sit flat
If they share a hole they won't sit flat
Correct. For starters the brackets you have do not appear to be oem factory original brackets. I'd say maybe someone made/reproduced them which may be the reason the top one does not have the slight bend it needs to fit correctly over the bottom one to make the proper fit for the cover.

Bbqman

Correct. For starters the brackets you have do not appear to be oem factory original brackets. I'd say maybe someone made/reproduced them which may be the reason the top one does not have the slight bend it needs to fit correctly over the bottom one to make the proper fit for the cover.
They are not. I found a file on pinerepair and had them made.

1971_MB1A

They are not. I found a file on pinerepair and had them made.
To me it would of made a bit more sense if they would of just made the oem factory bracket in 1 piece vs 2 which is probably the main reason your one bolt hole is stripped out as that one really should take a bit longer bolt due to the brackets being stacked over one another.

Bbqman

To me it would of made a bit more sense if they would of just made the oem factory bracket in 1 piece vs 2 which is probably the main reason your one bolt hole is stripped out as that one really should take a bit longer bolt due to the brackets being stacked over one another.
Bolt hole looks like roto rooter was in there

cfh

all the MTD's i've seen the brackets overlap each other at the 11 oclock position (i have 5 of these bikes, they are all like that.) and they don't need to sit flat, they are just holding a cover. it's nothing that requires intense specs. also you can 'tweak' the brackets if needed. just put an adjustable wrench on them, and they can be gently adjusted if needed.

in addition, these brackets can be used on other bikes/covers. for example, i use them on speedway bikes to hold the speedway clutch cover.

Last edited: