HS40 Crank Bearing Clip Needed???

Hello,

I am putting a HS40 together for a friend and there is a clip that holds the crank bearing in place that I want to leave out. It doesn't look like it is needed. The clip is on the clutch side between the crank bearing and the seal.

Any input or advise is greatly appreciated.

Mailamn

Bearing PTO is like a Rupp with the 3" crank and you really should put that clip back on to avoid the crank thrusting too much against the magneto side of the block-which is about the only purpose it serves. You stated that it holds the crank bearing in place but I don't believe it has any effect on holding the bearing in place. It DOES make it a pain to remove the crankcase cover but that's just how it is-
BTW-why would you not use it? Just curious. :shrug:

You are correct. The clip doesn't hold the bearing in. I went out last night and played around with it and you are spot on. Without the clip, there is a noticeable amount of end play in the crank. I put the clip on and there is almost none.
I wanted to leave the clip off so the next rebuild by me or whoever would not have to deal with the clip.
Clip is in and she purrs like a kitten. Thanks Atkrider for the reply!

Mailman

Nice that I can make myself useful now and than. Yea without the clip that crank will have LOTS of endplay and would really raise havoc on the mag side thrust area. The ball bearing could probably deal with it for a while but not flywheel side. Anyway, you did the right thing- :thumbsup:
Oh and YES it is a PITA to put the crank seal in with that crank sticking out there but Tecumseh makes a wiz/bang driver for doing it OR just take your time with a pipe, punch, hammer or all of the above and have at it.