HS40 Fuel Line Routing

Another novice question for those with on-engine vertical seam tanks. Engine originally had horizontal-seam, plastic tank with outlet nipple in the center/bottom of tank. No problem with fuel line radius out of the tank into the shroud. I now have reinforced rubber fuel line installed and made the switch to the vertical-seam tank w/nipple inboard. I can't make the bend at all.

To make matters worse, I wanted to use an inline filter. On one hand, that would allow extra hose making the connection to the tank easier. On the other, way too much hose dangling below the tank (and below the carb float bowl). I believe I saw that these tanks have an integral filter within the outlet? That would help but what about bend? Maybe a photo of a working connection would sink into my old brain...

Another novice question for those with on-engine vertical seam tanks. Engine originally had horizontal-seam, plastic tank with outlet nipple in the center/bottom of tank. No problem with fuel line radius out of the tank into the shroud. I now have reinforced rubber fuel line installed and made the switch to the vertical-seam tank w/nipple inboard. I can't make the bend at all.

To make matters worse, I wanted to use an inline filter. On one hand, that would allow extra hose making the connection to the tank easier. On the other, way too much hose dangling below the tank (and below the carb float bowl). I believe I saw that these tanks have an integral filter within the outlet? That would help but what about bend? Maybe a photo of a working connection would sink into my old brain...
Did you get Tecumseh specific fuel line? It's a slightly smaller diameter and a bit more flexible. I may have a piece downstairs that has a code on it.

I knew this would be asked of me... No, this is probably automotive-spec hose I'm trying to use. More pliability would be appreciated and likely switching to a disc style filter would get me there.

Yep, weather hasn't been playing nice so I haven't done much to it. It's either too cold, raining, or both. Just gathering parts and most likely gonna hit it hardcore come spring.

I knew this would be asked of me... No, this is probably automotive-spec hose I'm trying to use. More pliability would be appreciated and likely switching to a disc style filter would get me there.
Once I'm able to get downstairs I will dig it out. It's a narrower diameter to fit through the two narrower parts of the path. I've used the 90 deg cut-off with it.

Hose hanging below the float bowl doesn't affect the feed to the bowl as long as the tank outlet is higher. Where I couldn't procure the smaller OD Tec fuel line, I cheated with a run of copper fuel line clamped to automotive rubber hose. Installed filtered tank outlet nipple. Original HS40 with lighting made it too tight behind shroud and I had to mitigate possible fuel line chaff.

Most of the H and HS motors I've built have been missing the fuel line clamp that affixes to the engine cooling fin and traps the fuel line within it. I've never even found replacements.

Cheating with copper:

Hose dangling way low:

Once I'm able to get downstairs I will dig it out. It's a narrower diameter to fit through the two narrower parts of the path. I've used the 90 deg cut-off with it.
^Ahh, post op fun?? If so, don't risk further pain over a hose :no::no::no:
Well, I made it downstairs (some exercise is good:laugh:) and found the bag of fuel line. The critical difference is the the OD of the hose, as you know. The incorrect hose will be stamped 1/4". The correct hose is stamped ".250 x .440"

Here's the number string (I have no idea which of the last two strings would be the p/n)--SAE J30R7 (spec?) 110314 430173.

Dave's solution, btw, was pure elegance. I may have to do that now that I've acquired a flaring tool.

Thanks Pete. It sure solved some problems. A flaring job on a vintage tank with some polished copper fuel lines was always something I thought would be cool to do.