Hs50 high compression copper head gasket

markus

Eric explain further ....

Use a torch to get the copper red hot and then dunk into cold water. This softens the material and will give it some compressibility. I am surprised that the seller of the copper gaskets does not have a tutorial on their site!
I have referred to this site a few times
https://www.classicbritishspares.co...ead-gaskets-why-you-should-always-anneal-them
They sent annealing info/document along with receipt of purchase/shipping info when I ordered my gasket.

I don’t think you have to quench it in cold water, but you can. Same with other non ferrous metals.
ferrous materials you should just let air cool IIRC.
I have annealed aluminum before to get it to bend easy, it’s not hard to do.

40 years ago when I would put hs40 engines together I use to run them without a head gasket and they ran good! But I guess that was just me though. Back then you were forced to use the stock cam though.

Based on consensus, I have decided to go with a .032 thickness for my gasket. I will anneal and coat the gasket with copper spray prior to install. The first gasket will be installed on a sacrificial HS50 test mule in case of catastrophic valve failure.

I will also perform compression test before and after of the copper gasket to determine the psi before and after to measure the compression increase. The test engine of course will already need to have adequate compression, otherwise the thinner gasket will only increase blowby.

Again, thanks to all those who took time to read my post and reply. The response was healthy. I will communicate my results