Huffy Hustler, my wife is gonna be P*ss*d!

Addicted 2 Minis

After a closer look, it appears that this is the purple one cheezy had posted a picture of a while back, I guess the seats were the same after all. Notice the bends in the lower forks, the seat is worn in the same areas, same color too, just wish I got the clutch cover :(. So on to the fun stuff, I was wondering what the length the axle bolts are, the length of the jackshaft and what sprockets it originally came with. I purchased it without the wheels in the picture, I have some 6" Lil Indian wheels I'm going to use but need to know the length of the spacers that go between the sprocket and wheel and the ones that go between the wheel and swingarm, left and right. I'll also be looking for the axle adjuster washers, may have to find something close that works, no biggie. Thanks Karen and Markus for all the help, that brake assembly is cheaper at Allied and I can grab the needed spacers from them too once I figure out which ones I need.

001.jpg Cheezy1.jpg

Addicted 2 Minis

Well, it appears that the 900 series bike had a Tecumseh HS40 and a 2 speed clutch/transmission with 6:1 and 12:1 ratio gearing. The brochure states that the H0900 had a headlight and lighting coil, not sure if the H0910 does as this specific model isn't covered. After looking at a bunch of different bikes and I.D. plates, I would have to say that the 10 at the end of the model number (610,710,910) denotes forks while the lack of it denotes handlebars. All the 50 series (650,750,950) had a torque converter, I also noticed that the 50 series I.D. plate numbers end in 7012 not 7011 like the 600,700,900 and their 10 numbered counterparts (610,710,910).

markus

After looking at the cleanup thread of the bike that Karen now owns I remember what was funky about the Huffy axles, they were 5/8" axles but they used a full length crush spacer wth 3/4" OD so everything (bearings and brake backing plate was 3/4 ID) I have a parts listing for the hardtail that I think Glenn Baine had sent me back then that I loaded up in the photos section, It I think has the axle lengths. I would imagine that they would have made the widths the same between the hardtails and swingarms for production but I dont know for sure so you should just measure your swingarm before placing an order to be sure. I had owned both version bikes in the past but not at the same time and just didn't pay attention.

PatrickCraik

You can get bearings with a 5/8" ID and the common OD found on everything and not bother with anything funky. Spacers are easily made from bar stock,if you have access to a lathe. You can find the length of the needed sprocket spacers by using the left side of the frame as your datum. PM me and I'll tell how I did it. Quite simple but it might be a bit into the weeds to print here. Im not an author

Addicted 2 Minis

You can get bearings with a 5/8" ID and the common OD found on everything and not bother with anything funky. Spacers are easily made from bar stock,if you have access to a lathe. You can find the length of the needed sprocket spacers by using the left side of the frame as your datum. PM me and I'll tell how I did it. Quite simple but it might be a bit into the weeds to print here. Im not an author
Eventually I'm going to get a dry cut saw and cut my own out of DOM tubing. I'm currently in the sandbox across the pond and I was hoping I could order the brake and spacers in one shot, that's crazy why they would use 3/4" I.D. tubing on 5/8" bolts???. I've noticed a lot of parts for these are very similar if not the same as some of the Rupp parts I've seen. I figured out what clutches and sprockets I would need to do the 2 speed clutch/transmission so now all I need to find is a 24 tooth #35 sprag or one-way sprocket, that should be easy... right?. The more I see the hardtail bikes, the more I wish this one was, maybe Karen will trade me this one for a hardtail if she has one, wink, wink.

markus

Yea the axle setups were a little odd, but it may have been something to do with what Huffman used commonly on their other equipment/mowers they were building at the same time. Sears/Roper did some weird stuff to those frames as well, they kinda turned out real industrial-ish when they converted from the original Bird design 7/8" tubing bikes introduced in 1969 to the bigger 1" tubing frames built 1970-up. I think they did something something similar as well only with 1/2" axles.

Addicted 2 Minis

Here's another strange thing I noticed. To the best of my knowledge, these were only made for 2 years, that's all I've seen anyhow, 70-71. All the I.D. plates say "The Huffman Manufacturing Company, Dayton 1, Ohio" while the Manual says "The Huffman Manufacturing Company of Indiana".

010.jpg Manual.jpg

PatrickCraik

Eventually I'm going to get a dry cut saw and cut my own out of DOM tubing. I'm currently in the sandbox across the pond and I was hoping I could order the brake and spacers in one shot, that's crazy why they would use 3/4" I.D. tubing on 5/8" bolts???. I've noticed a lot of parts for these are very similar if not the same as some of the Rupp parts I've seen. I figured out what clutches and sprockets I would need to do the 2 speed clutch/transmission so now all I need to find is a 24 tooth #35 sprag or one-way sprocket, that should be easy... right?. The more I see the hardtail bikes, the more I wish this one was, maybe Karen will trade me this one for a hardtail if she has one, wink, wink.
Well,Measure accurately and make sure the sprockets line up or the chain(s) will bind. Thats a cool one,I dont remember them,around here LiL Indian and Ruttman were were the top dogs. My buddy got a cool one from K Mart,probably an MTD

Last edited:
Cool bike, was that the one on Ebay?
Here's how my next MBA meeting is going to start. Hi, My name is Tad, like all of you, I'm a Mini Bike Addict!. I decided to stray from my normal Lil Indian and Ruttman niche and went and got me a Huffy Hustler. If anyone has read some of my other posts, you'll know I'm not a big fan of full suspension bikes. That's where I feel Huffy hit the nail on the head with the Hustler, it's a full suspension bike that still retains the mini bike appearance. I have had many Huffy BMX bikes and have despised them all, they're just so darn heavy and as a kid living out in the sticks with a ton of hills you learn to hate certain brands, for me it was Huffy!. It wasn't until I saw one on here a while back did I say "Now that's a Huffy I wouldn't mind owning", they just look tuff. This is the first purple full suspension one I've seen, Model H0910-7011, I don't know how to date these, at first I thought the last part "7011" was the year and month of manufacture but all the serial plates I have seen (all 3 of them) have the last part as "7011". The only purple one in a brochure has regular clamp on handlebars, model H0900, I guess mines of the same era with the difference of the model number being that mine has the chrome forks. Here's some pictures from the listing, needs a lot of work, the biggest hurdle will be the seat and clutch cover but it'll be cool once finished.

View attachment 254795 View attachment 254796 View attachment 254797 View attachment 254798 View attachment 254803 View attachment 254804

View attachment 254799 View attachment 254800 View attachment 254801 View attachment 254802

Yup, that be the one, My mini bike bucket list is almost complete, I would rather it had been a hardtail but at least I found one. Now all I have to do is find my Lil Indian 300 and I'll be happy... until the next one, Hahahaha.
I know this post is a couple years old but I've got ask anyway have you found you a hardtail huffy hustler yet

I know this post is a couple years old but I've got ask anyway have you found you a hardtail huffy hustler yet
NOPE!, but I’d like to have one. Hell, I haven’t even taken this one out of the box yet!. I was kinda hoping someone would want to trade this one for a hardtail sometime down the road but it just hasn’t happened yet. I don’t know what it is but I like the small stuff, I’m a sucker for just about anything with 4” wheels.

-A2M

Last edited:
NOPE!, but I’d like to have one. Hell, I haven’t even taken this one out of the box yet!. I was kinda hoping someone would want to trade this one for a hardtail sometime down the road but it just hasn’t happened yet. I don’t know what it is but I like the small stuff, I’m a sucker for just about anything with 4” wheels.

-A2M
I do have a hardtail frame and handle bars with no.5 plate 20230127_205240.jpg 20230127_205214.jpg the motor,wheels,lower forks was used on my other bike

Dang!, might not be a 4” tire bike but it could be!. Why is it all the good stuff shows up when I’m trying to thin out the herd?. What are your plans for it?, sell, trade?, I have lots of stuff ranging from mini bikes to R/C car stuff. Lots of my R/C stuff is new but most is in a project state. I would buy Traxxas rollers off eBay and build them, some I never got around to either, just like my mini bikes, hahahahaha.

-A2M

I would be interested in trading for your suspended frame where are you located at
I’m in Brown City Michigan but I’m willing to ship mine for yours?. I ship mine to you on my dime, you ship yours to me on your dime. I think the fork lowers on mine are bent, like I said, I haven’t even had it out of the box. If that is the case, I think the lowers are the same, you keep yours, I keep mine?. We’ve both been members on here for a while so I don’t think either one of us is trying to pull one over on each other.

-A2M

I’m in Brown City Michigan but I’m willing to ship mine for yours?. I ship mine to you on my dime, you ship yours to me on your dime. I think the fork lowers on mine are bent, like I said, I haven’t even had it out of the box. If that is the case, I think the lowers are the same, you keep yours, I keep mine?. We’ve both been members on here for a while so I don’t think either one of us is trying to pull one over on each other.

-A2M
I am in Kansas City Missouri and I am willing to do that trade my lowers have been used on another bike so I will have to find a set for your bike shouldn't be a problem I think rupp lowers will fit may need to move spring cup not sure though I will round up a box to pack it in pm me your shipping info and I will do the same im pretty close to a ups store thats how ill ship to you