Hunting ammo feedback request.

WrenchDad

Hi all
My Son is going hunting for the first time next week (this was unexpected). Currently I dont have a hunting rifle that will fit him. I do have available a bolt action 410 shutgun with slugs. I already know the obvious challenges with such a small gauge but I also know under the right conditions it can/will bring down a deer. What I want to know is If any one has actually used and was sucsessfull in bringing down a deer with a 410 slug. and if so what was the conditions of your shot and the results of the slug. I know I could use a bigger gauge but I dont have one that will fit and I dont think I can get something, set it up, and sight in before I need it.

Any info is appreciated.
Thanks
WD

Just make sure it's legal in your state. I know 20 ga is the minimum here.

As long as it's legal I think it's a great choice, especially for a kid. Less flinching, better shot placement. :thumbsup:

MB165

yeah make sure your legal if your going on public property. you have appx. 500ft-lbs of energy, and it falls off quickly, so proper shot placement is important, personally id keep it broadside, 40-50 yards max.

heres a good article...... and have fun, good luck.

Whitetail Deer hunting with 410 slugs

WrenchDad

Thanks for the feed back guys.
The 410 is legal in Pa as defined in the big game regulations for deer and bear stating: A manual operated pump, lever, bolt or single shot action rifle or shot gun designed to fire a solid bullet or ball or bullet designed to expand on impact.
No caliber or gauges are listed. He wont have more than a 50 yard shot where we will be , so I think it will be fine.
MB165 Thanks for the link it is a good article.

I've shot plenty of deer with a 410, it will bring down a deer just fine. My 9 y/o son hunts with one. The important thing to do is make sure they understand the distance limit and make sure they know where to aim. I see way too many wounded deer because idiots get buck fever and shoot to be shooting. No sense in making an animal suffer because you can't see straight.