Hydrostat trans?

Has anybody experimented with hydro transaxles out of garden tractors in use as a drive system for a kart?
I'm wondering how well it might work to overspeed one to try to get some real speed out of it.
I'm suspecting one won't be able to do that without arranging some type of jackshaft with the transaxle as the primary drive.

Roger

i wouldnt overspeed it just make the gearing very high after the transmission. I have a nice small unit that could work on a minibike but its for a vertical shaft engine. And it has chain drive to the wheels. I think it could work

I've seen one used that way. Basically, it's set up as a variable speed jack shaft. Belt drive from vert. shaft engine, then chain drive from the trans output shafts. It does work, but seems to be excessive in moving parts.

Roger

delray

i wouldnt overspeed it just make the gearing very high after the transmission. I have a nice small unit that could work on a minibike but its for a vertical shaft engine. And it has chain drive to the wheels. I think it could work
any pictures of this little unit. i might work in something design for low speeds. for example a tote goat type bike. unless you could machine out any bushings for ball bearing style or needle bearing. if i am correct the guys that modify garden tractors some of them us a hydro-trans and go really fast.

I got it out of the shed. Its actually for a horizontal shaft engine and has the drive leaver on the bottom. I will get pics and try to see if i can find any info on it. Cant remember what i got it from