I did it again!

I started looking for another Tri Sport, even before I finished the first one. Number two came home with me last night. This one needs a lot more than the first, but I think I can handle it. cart2b.jpg cart2b.jpg

As one can see, in the pic above, the first serious thing I need is a new jack shaft. Someone, along the way, welded a sprocket to the driven end. Since I will be going back to a torque converter, as opposed to the centrifugal clutch, I will need a new shaft, at minimum. I'd prefer, if someone has one, the whole shaft pulley and mount.

You can just buy the shaft, bearings and spockets and make your own.

Yeah, I was hopping for an original. Still am. I'm in no hurry. But, the bottom line is, it will probably be cheaper to get 5/8 shaft and sprocket and be done with it.

Last edited:
As one can see, in the pic above, the first serious thing I need is a new jack shaft. Someone, along the way, welded a sprocket to the driven end. Since I will be going back to a torque converter, as opposed to the centrifugal clutch, I will need a new shaft, at minimum. I'd prefer, if someone has one, the whole shaft pulley and mount.
That is factory. It should have a 36t sprocket on the differential axle that goes to a 10t on the jackshaft over to that 36t sprocket. Then you run a tav with a backing plate and a 10t sprocket to that sprocket. By doing that the rear sprocket on the differential is smaller and doesn’t hit the ground and ends up being like a 7.2:1 gear ratio and has tons of torque.

That is factory. It should have a 36t sprocket on the differential axle that goes to a 10t on the jackshaft over to that 36t sprocket. Then you run a tav with a backing plate and a 10t sprocket to that sprocket. By doing that the rear sprocket on the differential is smaller and doesn’t hit the ground and ends up being like a 7.2:1 gear ratio and has tons of torque.

OK. I have not come across, that I know of, any sort of torque converter that uses sprockets, as opposed to belts. But, I that's what it was, it makes my life easier. Now I don't need both a jack shaft and a torque converter. Thanks.

Yes. You need a jackshaft and torque converter... stop thinking about a clutch. You will smoke them with the weight of a trike. Trust me. Leave the stock jackshaft alone. Buy a $99 engine at Harbor Freight 212cc and a Chinese TAV off EBay for 3/4” driver and 10t 40/41 sprocket for around $60... you can barely see the TAV set up on this but it’s there.

Attachments

I dove into the build full time today. Rear axle is off and in the process of being torn down for a rebuild. I am taking pics, of everything, along the way. Hopefully, I can build a detailed, picture laden, tutorial on these axles. When searching for info on the repair or dimanteling of the Peerless 100, findings are few and far between. Thanks, Karen, for your pictures. They have helped me a lot. I plan to go a step farther, with written comments along the way.

Oh the things we find when digging is our endeavor. That, "goop", used to be a creamy white and somewhat fluid. And, at one time, there were 4 bolts holding the axle carriers together. On this one, only two survived, (not an issue, they are common size bolts and I planned to replace them anyway). axle1.jpg axle2.jpg