I dont see a mark on the crankshaft for timing.

myjunk

I am working on a Tecumseh h35 . When I got it it had a habit of firing partway through the pulling of the rope and just about taking my hand with it. I have to assume its a timing issue. So I set the points at 020 while the lobe was at its highest point. I then put a dial indicator on it ready to set it at 035 at bdtc. While rotating the stator the best I could get it was about 050 because there simply isnt enough rotation in the stator before I run out of room. Just to double check at 035 is where the points should just start to open correct? That currently happens at about 050. So my next thought was that perhaps the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft could be off its mark. When I opened it up I can clearly see the mark on the camshaft but for the life of me I see no marking on the crankshaft. I have taken a couple of pictures to show my point. Am I missing it , or does someone with better eyes see it? At any rate the piston is at tdc when shown as is in the picture. The engine is dated 1970. Thanks for the help

Attachments

myjunk

It looks to me to be the tapered tooth at about 1 o’clock in picture 3
Here is a close up of that area, Im still not seeing anything definitive as far as a mark on the cranksaft. Im not a seasoned Tecumseh mechanic, but the only thing I see lining up with the camshaft is the area around the shaft itself looking like a keyway area.

Attachments

chrisr

Could the crank gear be put on backwards so the mark is on the inside? If you look for TDC with a dial indicator, that should be were the mark should be on the crankshaft "if the gear was marked" and this would align with the camshaft gear.

mustangfrank

I am working on a Tecumseh h35 . When I got it it had a habit of firing partway through the pulling of the rope and just about taking my hand with it. I have to assume its a timing issue. So I set the points at 020 while the lobe was at its highest point. I then put a dial indicator on it ready to set it at 035 at bdtc. While rotating the stator the best I could get it was about 050 because there simply isnt enough rotation in the stator before I run out of room. Just to double check at 035 is where the points should just start to open correct? That currently happens at about 050. So my next thought was that perhaps the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft could be off its mark. When I opened it up I can clearly see the mark on the camshaft but for the life of me I see no marking on the crankshaft. I have taken a couple of pictures to show my point. Am I missing it , or does someone with better eyes see it? At any rate the piston is at tdc when shown as is in the picture. The engine is dated 1970. Thanks for the help
Looks like it is correct, using the key as the crank "mark". Not sure if I just copied the page or the whole manual, the diagram is on page 84 if so.

And the older (pre-1983) H35 timing should be set to .065.

Attachments

Last edited:

myjunk

Looks like it is correct, using the key as the crank "mark". Not sure if I just copied the page or the whole manual, the diagram is on page 84 if so.

And the older (pre-1983) H35 timing should be set to .065.
Thank you very much that answers the crank and cam timing. I guess I need clarification, I had heard (on the internet so it must be true) that Tecumseh engines past 1963 were set at 035, however now im not so sure. Could others join in and help me out? again the engine is a H35 1970. Thank you

mustangfrank

Thank you very much that answers the crank and cam timing. I guess I need clarification, I had heard (on the internet so it must be true) that Tecumseh engines past 1963 were set at 035, however now im not so sure. Could others join in and help me out? again the engine is a H35 1970. Thank you
HS40 and HS50 (and others) were .035, the H30 and H35 (and a couple others) were .065 until 1983, then they did go to .035. It's all in the L-Head manual, Specifications section.