I got an old Morris Mini!

I picked up this 66 Morris Mini from Owen today! Its a beauty. No rust. Has some dents and scuffs but the body is pretty nice. Its been sitting in a barn for ten years with the engine apart so thats where the work needs to be done. I will need to go through all the mechanicals. Its going to be fun learning about it along the way. Iv rebuilt Porsches VWs and Chevys but nothing quite like this. Iv wanted one for years so im so happy I was able to work with Owen in getting this one and its better than I could have afforded from a stranger. Im very glad i wont be spending the next year fixing rust. I threw in a couple bikes my orange cat and my blue taco style bike. Im sure he will take good care of them or find them a good home. Even the trailer was a bit of a progect. I borrowed it from my neighbor and had to redo the wiring, repack the wheel bearings and I added supports for the tounge just incase because it seemed weak with just the one beam sticking out. Cant wait to dig in and get this thing going again id love to drive it this summer :thumbsup: Thanks for hooking me up Owend

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
WoW ! Really nice, looks like it just needs a few things.

If your having a hard time finding something for it. There is a guy up here that Specializes in them.

I could check for you OR get his info for you?

When I lived with a foster family the next door neighbor was a cool guy and he let me hang out in his garage while he was working on his Mini's, he had three and one was a full fledged race car said to be quite fast. I got to ride in it once and it was stupid fast and maneuvered like a go kart, I was 12 so driving it was out of the question. I have seen em race on TV and they are little monsters, they carry a front wheel off some turns but otherwise run flat as a fritter as a proper road car should. You got a jewel there given it has no rust, that's a rarity for Minis. Congrats on your score my talented friend!

Congrats. That's a good looking car. :thumbsup:

There is a strong support network for these. Just poke online. Moss Motors is probably the oldest and most reliable parts source. If the transmission is original, it will have a non-synchro first gear. You cannot downshift from second to first while the car is moving or the gears will grind. Shifting from neutral to second to first while at a stop will cause less grinding than going straight from neutral to first. The transmission and engine use a shared oil supply, so frequent oil changes are very important to keep chipped gear fragments out of the engine. Use Castrol LMA DOT4 brake fluid in the brakes and clutch. DOT3 will melt the rubber seals. If someone already made that mistake, new seals are readily available and easy to install.

Don't believe the old wives tales about the inadequacies of Lucas electrics and SU carburetors. Just take the time to learn and understand them. These were economy cars, and probably never intended to last fifty years. Electrical problems most often result from corroded connections that will clean up quite easily, and also result frequently from failed efforts by prior owners to "improve" the setup. I believe this car should have a positive ground electrical system. Be mindful of that if you try to install a newer stereo or other electrical accessories. You can ruin the stereo or possibly set the car on fire. Rusted floor pans are pretty easy to replace if you have any bodywork/welding skills. I've only had one mini, but my buddy lives and breathes them. He and I used to work together in a British sports car shop while I was going to college. I've had a number of MGs, and currently have a '62 MGA in my garage.

Last edited:

45t

Welcome to the British Car owners club. :thumbsup: Awesome RHD Mini by the way, I 'd love to get one someday.

1974.5 MGB Roadster
74 mgb2.JPG

1972 MGB GT
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sharp.

Not to deal with anything British but still kinda on the topic, I looked at a king midget series 3 last year but it was too far gone.

Nice mini! Those are great cars I hear, and very iconic.

RHD is fun to drive in the states, I know because I daily a diesel Land Cruiser imported from Japan, RHD cars attract as much attention as a Ferrari without the expense. And It makes going through the drive-thru a experience.

Thanks guys! this car is in great shape! Today I did quite a bit. cleaned out the gas tank it was full of 10 year old gas but the tank is still fine inside. Then used the old gas to clean up alot of the engine parts. Also checked out the rear brakes and they are working. It has new shoes and cylenders. The rubber hoses look original so ill probrobly change them. Then i cleaned the 50 years of crud out of the back suspension. But nothing is rusted. It even has the original paint in the wheelwells.

Congrats. That's a good looking car. :thumbsup:

There is a strong support network for these. Just poke online. Moss Motors is probably the oldest and most reliable parts source. If the transmission is original, it will have a non-synchro first gear. You cannot downshift from second to first while the car is moving or the gears will grind. Shifting from neutral to second to first while at a stop will cause less grinding than going straight from neutral to first. The transmission and engine use a shared oil supply, so frequent oil changes are very important to keep chipped gear fragments out of the engine. Use Castrol LMA DOT4 brake fluid in the brakes and clutch. DOT3 will melt the rubber seals. If someone already made that mistake, new seals are readily available and easy to install.

Don't believe the old wives tales about the inadequacies of Lucas electrics and SU carburetors. Just take the time to learn and understand them. These were economy cars, and probably never intended to last fifty years. Electrical problems most often result from corroded connections that will clean up quite easily, and also result frequently from failed efforts by prior owners to "improve" the setup. I believe this car should have a positive ground electrical system. Be mindful of that if you try to install a newer stereo or other electrical accessories. You can ruin the stereo or possibly set the car on fire. Rusted floor pans are pretty easy to replace if you have any bodywork/welding skills. I've only had one mini, but my buddy lives and breathes them. He and I used to work together in a British sports car shop while I was going to college. I've had a number of MGs, and currently have a '62 MGA in my garage.
Good info Tom ill definately check if its positive ground. Im no stranger to no synchro first gear my 46 willys is like that. with one less gear , twice the weight, and 3 times bigger tires lol I might upgrade the carb and exhaust but for now I may use the stock stuff since i have it and save the upgrades for later. I may find it adequate and leave it alone.

Those king midgets are cool i know a local guy with one. More like a gokart or golf cart than a car though. Id say a mini is more like a Crosley. Atleast they have a car engine lol

Yeah I was looking at it to use as a go cart/utv for my dad. The guy had had it used it for a deer buggy and back for the last 40 years in the mud and muck never washing it. I didn't look at the underside but the body was swiss cheese held together with duct tape so I passed on it. Figured with the amount of work it would take to restore it I could build something like it better suited for riding around the pasture.

Here are some pictures from the security camera as Bryan was helping himself to some of my parts! Can't believe the nerve of this guy giving me phony cash and kicking my dog! Just kidding, he was a really good guy and the car will be fixed up in no time. Thanks again Bryan:thumbsup:

Attachments