I have the 14cc head stock piston, Is pump gas okay?

Run the highest octane gas you can run..........witch would be Premium
Gonna have to disagree here. You'd have to show me some hard dyno numbers. If it is in fact a 14cc head it should be 10.3:1. Remember that ignition timing plays a large part in detonation when compression is increased. You want to increase the octane to prevent detonation, but no more than necessary or inefficient combustion will occur.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

Last edited:
Gonna have to disagree here. You'd have to show me some hard dyno numbers at that compression ratio that premium makes more power than 87 octane.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]
.......I say run premium simply cause higher Octane, Will it make him go faster? Maybe maybe Not. But what I'm saying is just put some Damn gas in an let her rip! ....it's a lawn mower engine ....his compression isn't high enough to run Alky so it's kind of a No brainer what gas to use.....Witch would be ANY GAS

I like running Alky because of the cooler temps and it is easy to get...
Alky makes more TQ and HP regardless of the compression... at all rpms
Just with alky you can run 8.5-1 comp all the way to 16-1 before you have to worry about octane %...

I like running Alky because of the cooler temps and it is easy to get...
Alky makes more TQ and HP regardless of the compression... at all rpms
Just with alky you can run 8.5-1 comp all the way to 16-1 before you have to worry about octane %...
Then you have to purge the system no thanks

Gonna have to disagree here.
Yes. :thumbsup:

From the book:

Honda GX200: "Honda engines are certified and designed to run on regular unleaded gasoline."

Harbor Freight Predator 212: "87+ octane stabilizer treated unleaded gasoline."

Some of these comments give me the same feeling of disbelief I feel when watching a diesel truck explode during a car chase scene.

Yes. :thumbsup:

From the book:

Honda GX200: "Honda engines are certified and designed to run on regular unleaded gasoline."

Harbor Freight Predator 212: "87+ octane stabilizer treated unleaded gasoline."

Some of these comments give me the same feeling of disbelief I feel when watching a diesel truck explode during a car chase scene.
So ur saying you never put anything in your tank except 87 octane pump gas ...bottem line is it's a lawn mower engine Do you put the right octane gas in your mower? Probley not you Probley just put whatever you got in the garage in....just saying it ain't gotta be 87. & with a few mods why wouldn't you run higher octane ...it's not like it's gunna hurt

So ur saying you never put anything in your tank except 87 octane pump gas ...bottem line is it's a lawn mower engine Do you put the right octane gas in your mower? Probley not you Probley just put whatever you got in the garage in....just saying it ain't gotta be 87. & with a few mods why wouldn't you run higher octane ...it's not like it's gunna hurt
I don't have a lawn mower. I live in the desert.

My engines are flathead Briggs or Tecumseh, or two stroke Clinton, and West Bend. All of those engines use "regular," as is recommended for the stock configuration GX based engine in the original post.

The only gasoline in my garage is regular, or regular with Burris two stroke pre-mix.

My 1967 440 RB engine is 10.1:1 and it receives mid grade, and alcohol stabilizer.

The higher the octane rating is, the more heat and compression required to burn the fuel. So running higher octane fuel in a stock, or even slightly modified engine will result in decreased performance.

It is generally accepted that CR's of 11:1 and higher are the threshold for considering higher octane fuels.

So no, I don't just dump anything in my engines.

I don't have a lawn mower. I live in the desert.

My engines are flathead Briggs or Tecumseh, or two stroke Clinton, and West Bend. All of those engines use "regular," as is recommended for the stock configuration GX based engine in the original post.

The only gasoline in my garage is regular, or regular with Burris two stroke pre-mix.

My 1967 440 RB engine is 10.1:1 and it receives mid grade, and alcohol stabilizer.

The higher the octane rating is, the more heat and compression required to burn the fuel. So running higher octane fuel in a stock, or even slightly modified engine will result in decreased performance.

It is generally accepted that CR's of 11:1 and higher are the threshold for considering higher octane fuels.

So no, I don't just dump anything in my engines.
But HIS ENGINE is a lawn mower brigs, Tecumseh ....those are lawn mowers, lawn edgers, snow blowers ...lol they all take the same gas ! Any .......& west bend why would you even use that motor or the clinton

Last edited: