I need help

Ive never saw this type of axle before. How do i remove this wheel from the forks? There is a bolt on both sides and im assuming that after the bolts are removed that axle shaft just slides right out? I have been soaking it with PB Blaster. Please let me know if im doing this right. I don't want to break anything. Thanks in advance

Attachments

capguncowboy

That looks like the front end assembly on a Bearkat. The axle is threaded on both ends. You should be able to remove the bolt from each side and the wheels drops out.

You can remove the axles with a little tender care and a BFH

f4radar

I would probably try putting a bolt in one threaded end (so i didnt booger up the treads) and a socket on the other side to drove the axle into and give it a wack

capguncowboy

Is it a suspended fork ? If so, remove the fork lowers, then remove the axle nuts, and fork lowers come off axle. Thus freeing the wheel.
That's not a bad idea.

If it's not suspended, the axle should press out of the wheel, through the hole in the fork lower. You're going to want to get that out of the wheel anyway since the bearings are likely worn out

Now I recognize that fork. I just went out and looked at my mts-30, and this must be a picture from EchoJohnny's.

It is not suspended, and I don't know how to remove the wheel either !

This will notify @manchester1 , @dumptruckboy , and @steven Durham , they have, or have had, mts-30's. And perhaps one of them will know.

f4radar

Maybe you could soak it with some type of liquid wrench. put a strong bolt in one end and just try to rotate it with a socket & breaker bar or impact wrench to free it up. That is if there is no key or pin.

Now I recognize that fork. I just went out and looked at my mts-30, and this must be a picture from EchoJohnny's.

It is not suspended, and I don't know how to remove the wheel either !

This will notify @manchester1 , @dumptruckboy , and @steven Durham , they have, or have had, mts-30's. And perhaps one of them will know.
Yes its an Alsport Tri Sport MTS-30. That front wheel probably has not been off the trike since Nixon was in office. BFH and a torch, no axle gets the best of me.

1971_MB1A

I had to use the press to get one of those loose.
Yes its an Alsport Tri Sport MTS-30. That front wheel probably has not been off the trike since Nixon was in office. BFH and a torch, no axle gets the best of me.
Try mild heat with a torch and candle wax. Do this 3 or so times to let the wax drive down into it while it expands and contracts then use an air hammer gun with a flat cut off bit to vibrate it out. I've done many this way and it usually works great.

Ok, I will expand on the candle wax technique for you Johnny.

A candle is used after you heat a part red hot to suck the heat out of the (usually) inner part that was heated. You need a big candle like you would use on the dinning room table. It will cool one part and shrink it away from the other part.

Heat the piece as hot as you think you need. And then apply the end of the candle directly to the end of the axle to suck the heat out of the axle as it melts. This will make the axle shrink which will break it loose from the fork leg. If it is stuck in the wheel then a press will be your best friend. Apply pressure to the axle while supporting the wheel hub and just leave the pressure on it for a while. If it is just stuck it will give up with a little patience. If it is stuck really bad with corrosion then it may take several days of letting the pressure sit and convince it to move.

Constant pressure is something that people don't use enough. A friend couldn't get the center hub off of a bush hog so he drilled and bolted a 4 x 4 across the center shaft and through the bolt holes for the blades. Now we had tried the old shock it loose with a hammer technique to no avail. I laughed and said that the 4x4 would never make enough difference to get it off and told him to come by the shop and get a piece of channel to use on its edge. Several days later he called and said it was laying on the ground as it had fallen off all by its self with just the 4x4...

You may want to try some of this stuff too. Its all I use. A little goes a long way. Makes PB look like 3in1 oil... And all I use WD-40 for is to mount and dismount tires. Doesn't cause rust like a water based solution will.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/gibbs-penetrent.132760/

f4radar

A candle is used after you heat a part red hot to suck the heat out of the (usually) inner part that was heated. You need a big candle like you would use on the dinning room table. It will cool one part and shrink it away from the other part.

Heat the piece as hot as you think you need. And then apply the end of the candle directly to the end of the axle to suck the heat out of the axle as it melts. This will make the axle shrink which will break it loose from the fork leg. If it is stuck in the wheel then a press will be your best friend. Apply pressure to the axle while supporting the wheel hub and just leave the pressure on it for a while. If it is just stuck it will give up with a little patience. If it is stuck really bad with corrosion then it may take several days of letting the pressure sit and convince it to move.

Constant pressure is something that people don't use enough. A friend couldn't get the center hub off of a bush hog so he drilled and bolted a 4 x 4 across the center shaft and through the bolt holes for the blades. Now we had tried the old shock it loose with a hammer technique to no avail. I laughed and said that the 4x4 would never make enough difference to get it off and told him to come by the shop and get a piece of channel to use on its edge. Several days later he called and said it was laying on the ground as it had fallen off all by its self with just the 4x4...

You may want to try some of this stuff too. Its all I use. A little goes a long way. Makes PB look like 3in1 oil... And all I use WD-40 for is to mount and dismount tires. Doesn't cause rust like a water based solution will.

I'm glad you explained that cause I was thinking the wax worked like some sort of lubricating loosener instead of a heatsink. Maybe I'll get a chance to try that some time or some variant. Old dogs love new tricks.

1971_MB1A

No need to heat it red hot as pretty much any type of lubricating loosener such as pb blaster,wd40,liquid wrench,knocker loose etc will usually just burn off which will still leave everything dry and stuck. As I said before just heat it mildly 3 or so times while using candle wax then let it somewhat cool and the wax will stay instead of burning off which will act like a lubricant in freeing it up. I would rarely use a press or heavy hammer on doing anything like this as it will usually result in bending or breaking the parts. I prefer to use vibration with a regulated air hammer. If you are really stuck on this,send it to me and I should be able to have it all apart free of damage probably in less than 15 minutes.

Im aware of those procedures however i dont have a press or a oxygen acetylene torch. I was hoping that someone knew an easy trick. Wishful thinking. Thank you for your detailed response..it dont get any better than that