I need to drill and tap crank Briggs 2hp

my nephews kids have a doodle bug that killed a 97cc and I want to replace it with a 2hp from an old edger but the crankshaft needs to be drilled and tapped. Being the tightwad that I am is this something I can do myself with a hand drill and Harbor Freight tap and die set? I can't even remember the last time I needed the services of a machine shop so I have no idea what the hourly rate is these days but if it's something I can handle without screwing up the crank I'd like to give it a try. Thanks for any sugestions

I'm a die maker and I make my living drilling and tapping ... when I had to tap a crank I pulled the blower housing and used a drill press ... I won't even try it freehand.

Its not difficult. They drill quite easy. they are not hardened. just keep rotating the crank so you know its going in straight. easy peasy. I forget the bolt size and thread that they normally use but you probrobly have the old one to compare

Well I did it the redneck way and I think it will work. I took a piece of scrap 2x4 cut it in two pieces and drilled a 5/8 hole in each. I found a paper feed roller from an old printer with an 8mm center hole and almost perfect 5/8 round part between the black rubber roller and end with the teeth. I cut the gear part off and stuffed it into the 2x4. It drilled pretty easily and pretty much perfectly centered at least close enough for me...Thanks to everyone for the input. Jim

Attachments

Hopefully it worked for you allstar, not that brave! I would like to see if some one has the kit that OldMiniBikes had for sale and would loan or sell me to use.