I replaced my stock chain with a #35 Space chain and It works so much better.

GustoGuy

About 2 weeks ago my stock Doodle Bug chain gave up the ghost. One of the links slide over and the chain started to slap really bad and some of the links were even bent. I found an awesome chain on Comet Karts sales called a #35 space chain and I purchased a 5-foot section to replace my stock Doodlebug chain. The first thing I noticed was how much better made the space chain was then the stock Doodlebug chain. I used my chain splitter and with the included master link I replaced the chain and realigned the engine and rear sprocket with my straight edge builders square. This past weekend I had a chance to use it and all I can say is “Wow”. So much smoother and it even seems to accelerate even better now and seemed to boost top speed a slight amount. My Doodle Bug is modified with a Harbor freight Predator 212cc and super thick rebond foam seat and a Springer fork from a Yukon Trails Badger 100 as well as the famous Hot rod minibike engine plate and Hydraulic brake and awesome clutch/chain guard. I may still spring for the Full Hydraulic Motovox fork for it at a later time. Everyone who rode my mini this past weekend said it really powerful little bike and that it was really fun to ride. Now I got to convince the wife to get another minibike so we can go riding togather.:laugh:

Here is the link to the repalcement chain

https://cometkartsales.com/-35-Space-Chain-5-Feet.html

Last edited:
Cool , never used space chain but I do run the RLV gold on gold on all my mini's , it's a little costlier but worth it IMO , same story as yours !!

GustoGuy

Cool , never used space chain but I do run the RLV gold on gold on all my mini's , it's a little costlier but worth it IMO , same story as yours !!
I see the RLV extreme is a space chain and almost all go cart racers tend to use a space chain since they are less likly to klink and are a bit more tolerant of sprocket not being aligned properly. Here is the description of the RLV extreme

RLV Xtreme #35 High Performance Racing Chain, 106 Links
Model: RLV0845
Manufactured by: RLV
RLV Xtreme (#35) High Performance Go Kart Racing Space Chain, 106 Links - Gold on Gold Finish. The Xteme 35 kart racing chain is designed to be lighter resulting in less rolling resistance and faster acceleration.
RLV Xtreme chains have a patent pending "Split Bushing" with an angular seam design. These bushings are created from strip steel that is formed and die-sized around a precision mandrel. This technique ensures excellent roundness, superior strength and minimal wall thickness variation. The result is a bushing that is more resistant to fatigue and failure from the tortures of root impact. RLV roller chains are in conformity with JIS (Japanese Industrial Standards) and ANSI (American National Standard Institute) standards.

I'm running space chain on mine too. Seems good. I thought it was stretching excessively, because I was constantly adjusting tension and when I ran out of room to adjust, I decided to replace the chain. Turns out the chain really only stretched a little. Most of the loose-ness appears to be coming from excessive wear on the aluminum split sprocket teeth. They're all hook shaped now, and comparing the new chain to the old, they're only like 1/8" different over 97 links. Guess I'll have to replace split sprockets more often, or get a steel sprocket.

Any ideas where to find a steel 57t sprocket for #35 chain?

I can only find split aluminum ones, and I'm thinking that I'm settling on 57t, so why not go steel?

For mini bike.

Unfortunately a 60t doesn't help much, because when I ran a 60, the bike would backflip out from under my 250 pound ass with a little blip of the throttle. People were getting bucked off the back every time, and I couldn't get the chain tension right. With the 58t on it now, it'll wheelie super easy, and 3 people still half- backflipped it this month, but it's a little more predictable. I think a 57 will be a good balance of top end speed and low end power and chain tension, if I quit letting idiots ride it.

The other link says its an anodized alloy, so I assume it's aluminum which is what I've already got that's wearing out quick.

Thanks for the links, but I'm afraid my search continues.

jays0n

Best bet is to get a split sprocket adapter and then you have a huge variety of sizes to choose from, unless I missed you already saying you didn't want to do that for some reason... Aluminum does wear faster but it is lighter so less rotating mass. Also they are cheap so get a couple :) Sprockets are tricky for the DB30 back wheel, not many options. Good luck!

Best bet is to get a split sprocket adapter and then you have a huge variety of sizes to choose from, unless I missed you already saying you didn't want to do that for some reason... Aluminum does wear faster but it is lighter so less rotating mass. Also they are cheap so get a couple :) Sprockets are tricky for the DB30 back wheel, not many options. Good luck!
I already have the split sprocket on the bike, and with only a few hours of use, had to replace it due to excessive wear, so I'd like a steel one.

If I have to spend 17 bucks twice a year on sprockets, so be it, but it'd be a lot cooler if I didn't have to. Seems strange finding a steel one is so tricky.

Aluminum might..might be your only choice in that set-up. And you're right,,if you spend a couple of bucks a year so be it. Anybody racing go-karts knows they're just a disposable item.

Aluminum might..might be your only choice in that set-up. And you're right,,if you spend a couple of bucks a year so be it. Anybody racing go-karts knows they're just a disposable item.
Yep. Like blades, bearings and shafts on my RC helicopters. They're consumables. Lol

Oh well. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a steel one, but I won't go out of my way, or lose any sleep over it. I'll order a few split sprockets at a time to save shipping and last me a couple years at a time.

Thanks folks :)