I will be testing some new Tachometers soon !!!!

I found this Tachometer while doing some searching yesterday.

-Should work with 1 -10 cylinder gas engines
-7 different background colors
-Tinted - Unreadable when turned off

I also found this 16,000 rpm Tachometer for cheap on ebay.

I already have one that reads 13,000 rpm (slow response time), but I wanted this one for my 2 stroke projects.

Well when does the testing begin ? The 16k one might have a use on a nanza we have . I will be watching this one , good luck .:thumbsup:
David, that would make a cool video on that bike showing the tach while riding
and giving her the gas:devil2:

5 horse, looking forward to what you find out :thumbsup:

Well when does the testing begin ? The 16k one might have a use on a nanza we have . I will be watching this one , good luck .:thumbsup:
Not sure. Both Tachometers are in the mail system....:shrug:

Do these tachs work off 12 volt dc power ?
Yes, both require a 12 VDC supply.

I use one from Stihl. Clamps onto the plug wire... have had it up around 18k not sure what the limit is yet...
Yes, the Stihl & Tiny-Tachs are very good. I think they both max out at 99,999 rpm.

rmm727

coil wire.

I have a tach from iEquus with an inductive pickup. Forget which model. Wanna say 8086. Clamps around the spark plug wire and can be set for 1 cylinder operation.

where the you going to get the signal from?
the motor :thumbsup:
LOL !!!

The 10,000 RPM one should work off the low voltage side of the ignition coil (I hope).

The 16,000 RPM Tach will probably need to get it's signal from the spark plug wire. I've talked to other people with these tachs and some say plug wire and some said it works off the side of the ignition coil.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
As far as I know, all tack's work off the Ignition Coil.

The hard part is finding tack's that are for 1 Cyl use. Most are 4,6,8cyl.

Some are 2,4cyl. not many are 1,2,4,6, & 8cyl. Be careful what you buy.

It will be cool what your test will show, as others would like to know as well.

I will be running a Tack as well on the Snow engine drag bike, but this is two cyl and not a fair test. It is also coil pick-up and DC operated.

Great price and good to deal with.

Last edited:
I use the same tach as shown above in bikebuddy's post. They work off the kill side of the coil, and the 12 v input. They work just fine on the clones but have a very slow response time.

125ccCrazy

the motor :thumbsup:
kinda guessed that:doah:
LOL !!!

The 10,000 RPM one should work off the low voltage side of the ignition coil (I hope).

The 16,000 RPM Tach will probably need to get it's signal from the spark plug wire. I've talked to other people with these tachs and some say plug wire and some said it works off the side of the ignition coil.
be curious to how this works out....

So the tinted glowshift tachometer showed up a few days ago.
It's working very well, but it is hard to see on video.
It is very bright and clear to read, but I think it uses LEDs so the blinking effects videos.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that I had to set the Tachometer to two cylinders. So I guess since a Briggs fires a spark every revolution, it technically has a 2 cylinder ignition system. I never thought of that and so this means that 2 cylinder tachometers should work with these engines.

The 16,000 RPM Tachometer should arrive within a week.

Thanks for the test info. Does the led one have a fast response time?
Yeah it moves around very quickly.
Still working on a video for it...

Here is the one from ebay. I tested it using a drill to turn the motor over.
It looks like it will need a signal from the spark plug wire so I want to see how it performs at high RPM.

So I was having a problem getting the 10,000 RPM tachometer LEDs to show up on
video and what I didn't mention was that the needle would start twitching above
4,000 RPMs and would become very difficult to read. I have been addressing these
issues over the weeks and luckily for me I managed to sort out both problems.

The twitchy RPM needle turned out to be an issue with my ignition coil which I
estimate to have many many hours on. It was basically a last ditch effort to get the
tach to work properly & accurately above 4,000 RPMs. I first tried to remember what
ignition coil the engine had and where I got it from. It came from a seized engine I
bought off of ebay and yes I knew it was seized before buying. It powered a vacuum
bag attachment for a riding lawn mower. This thing looks horrible and so much so I
thought I should post a picture.

The video problem I was experiencing was solved merely by luck and me lacking the
patience to wait for tomorrow. Late in the afternoon I decided to test the tachometer
once more using a nearly new ignition coil I keep for spares. I guess I didn't
want to waste another complete day for something that couldn't be helped. During testing, I was so impressed with the performance of the tachometer with the new ignition coil that I pulled out my phone to try once again & capture a video. It isn’t the most stunning video, but both the needle and numbers were captured easily. After uploading the video I convinced myself that the reason it was filmed properly was because of a reduction in sunlight reflecting off the driveway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W3Ff_fjVJo&list=UUbMUQ9JGAEWaT8kyxSalxXQ&index=1