ID my Tech..please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie1972

I am gonna assume flyweed called the engine shop and spoke with the Technician....
He kept his word and pay-pal'd me my purchase and shipping costs back.
So....If I don't talk to him anymore I just wanna say thanks to him for being a man of his word and others here on OldMiniBikes for there help.....(A little pushy at times) but nonetheless helpful.:thumbsup:

Yeah, sure seems like it? Dunno what the hold up is in simply taking the head off-I could do it in just a few minutes and it would definitely tell you the size as well as if it was a desirable heavy-duty engine with the cast iron liner! Would sure beat just guesses.... :shrug:

By the way, not to thread jack or anything, but is there any chance my engine is bigger than 2.5HP? (as in the previous poster saying something about a blocked off intake making a 3HP into a 2.5HP or something?)

Also, I know it is hard to pinpoint the year on the Tecumseh engines, but any guess to what era at least? I'm assuming 1970s from the type of Craftsman logo.......
Wowwwww
Thats an aweful lot to know for a newby Motobunny...

This a very good point, not a LOT, but some few 2 and 3 horse Tecumsehs were a cast iron bore.. The engine I am running on the Litening Trike rite now is exactly identical to the one you posted.. This orange engine of mine, is a cast iron bore, 2.5 horse... :thumbsup:

Mines ugly as hell and was missing some stuff, non running left for dead in the barn, but they were (born) the same.. I'm willing to bet yours was born with a cast iron bore too..
And yes, 70's probably like 1977 for an exact guesstamate, give or take a couple years..

Yes, I am indeed a man of my word. I did call the TECH shop that Jamie gave me the phone number to, the guy I spoke with was very nice, and he said that the info he looked up he BELIEVED the engine to be a 3hp engine with cast iron piston liner, etc. he could NOT give me any hard documents that prove 100% without a doubt that the engine is not a 3.5hp. With that said, I just refunded Jaimie's money, and wanted to call this whole ordeal DONE. My wife just 2 weeks ago had an ultrasound done, and they found a mass the size of a golf ball in one of her breasts (she's 39), and so we are DEALING with that right now, and I just don't have the time or energy now to put into a long drawn out engine battle.

So with that said..I have a NICE, used engine that will be back in my possession soon. It's either a 3hp or 3.5hp with cast iron liner, and runs great....up for sale again. Just shoot me a PM

Thanks guys, and appreciate all of your input.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Sorry to hear this flyweed and hope everything will turn out ok for your wife. For what it's worth, my wife when through something similar years ago and things turned out just fine. They have come a long way since then :wink:

Very upstanding of you to stand behind the sale and do the right thing :thumbsup:

Vic

Yes, I am indeed a man of my word. I did call the TECH shop that Jamie gave me the phone number to, the guy I spoke with was very nice, and he said that the info he looked up he BELIEVED the engine to be a 3hp engine with cast iron piston liner, etc. he could NOT give me any hard documents that prove 100% without a doubt that the engine is not a 3.5hp. With that said, I just refunded Jaimie's money, and wanted to call this whole ordeal DONE. My wife just 2 weeks ago had an ultrasound done, and they found a mass the size of a golf ball in one of her breasts (she's 39), and so we are DEALING with that right now, and I just don't have the time or energy now to put into a long drawn out engine battle.

So with that said..I have a NICE, used engine that will be back in my possession soon. It's either a 3hp or 3.5hp with cast iron liner, and runs great....up for sale again. Just shoot me a PM

Thanks guys, and appreciate all of your input.
well, then sell it as a what I know about it and call it great.. They are great motors.. Mine was about to be burried in a caved in barn and about rusted away, and I've been driving the hell out of it, runs strong as hell for a 2.5, (mine is 2.5)

Wowwwww
Thats an aweful lot to know for a newby Motobunny...

This a very good point, not a LOT, but some few 2 and 3 horse Tecumsehs were a cast iron bore.. The engine I am running on the Litening Trike rite now is exactly identical to the one you posted.. This orange engine of mine, is a cast iron bore, 2.5 horse... :thumbsup:

Mines ugly as hell and was missing some stuff, non running left for dead in the barn, but they were (born) the same.. I'm willing to bet yours was born with a cast iron bore too..
And yes, 70's probably like 1977 for an exact guesstamate, give or take a couple years..
OK, thanks for the date..... sounds right, given the Sears logo (my dad worked there for like 10 years in the '70s & '80s). I've already checked for cast iron liner with a magnet on flexible thingy through the spark plug hole and know it's cast iron. :thumbsup:

I'm a newby to mini-bikes but have been playing around with small engines my whole life (as well as big engines, too....lol).

So I have to ask, why all the drama about removing the head-I don't get it? Are you worried about messing something up or just don't have time to do it or something? Not trying to be "pushy" but genuinely baffled., as it is like a 10 minute task and near impossible to mess up on. And yes, you did ask here how to ID it and were told how and yet you didn't want to do it for some reason?

I mean you still haven't "proven" the engine is one size or another and yet you are willing to go to all the bother to return it, anyways? weird.... :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.