Interesting exhaust accessory, anyone remember these?

markus

Few years back these popped up on ebay, the listing stated it was an optional accessory for the performance exhaust on the 68-69 Rupps. Its a cool little butterfly plate, the intentions are to quiet the exhaust down when needed, or when your ready to throw down and race for pinks turn the knob and open up the exhaust :laugh:

I like do-dads had to have one!!! the guy sold like 10 of them, I missed them all. Bidding went all over the place on them, and I was never the winner :doah:

One popped on here in the classifieds about a year ago stuffed in a clone header so I snatched it up to get the divertor :thumbsup:

So has anyone ever seen them before? or who actually sold them? once I got it and cleaned it up I tried doing some searching of the name on butterfly and various names something like this would be called as I figure it was not actually made specifically for mini bikes, but I could be wrong. I came up pretty much empty handed as far as finding something in the same size and identical parts.

I dont have it drilled in anything as of now but this kinda shows how it works
quiet time:

open road:

How its put together:

Jamie1972

Few years back these popped up on ebay, the listing stated it was an optional accessory for the performance exhaust on the 68-69 Rupps. Its a cool little butterfly plate, the intentions are to quiet the exhaust down when needed, or when your ready to throw down and race for pinks turn the knob and open up the exhaust :laugh:

I like do-dads had to have one!!! the guy sold like 10 of them, I missed them all. Bidding went all over the place on them, and I was never the winner :doah:

One popped on here in the classifieds about a year ago stuffed in a clone header so I snatched it up to get the divertor :thumbsup:

So has anyone ever seen them before? or who actually sold them? once I got it and cleaned it up I tried doing some searching of the name on butterfly and various names something like this would be called as I figure it was not actually made specifically for mini bikes, but I could be wrong. I came up pretty much empty handed as far as finding something in the same size and identical parts.

I dont have it drilled in anything as of now but this kinda shows how it works
quiet time:

open road:

How its put together:
That's bad ass. I'd like to find one of those for my Rupp.

scootercat

Yup...Snuff-or-not was real big with the tt pipped Hondas...I had a CB160 with some aftermarket TT pipes with them in it....Closed on the street,open on the track....I did alot of flat tracking in My youth with that bike!...One thing I did notice when closed,it would load up and run slower....Scootercat....

I had these on a Honda 305 Superhawk back in 66. Back then they were just called Snuff It's. Drove the local cops crazy. They would pull over a loud bike and strangely by the time they got up to me it was quiet!! Hee! Hee! I still see versions of them on Ebay to this day. They DO work!

On the 305s' you would remove the collector which combined the two side pipes and muffled the sound. To keep it street legal, you use these little gizmos. The 305 was one the best sounding bikes when it was uncorked and lugging just a bit. Made you really want to twist that grip.

Fred

This gives me ideas for my Yamaha SR400.
I can yank the factory TWC (Three Way Catalytic) muffler, make a straight pipe to replace it, and make/install one of these.
Best of both worlds.