Introduction and a Few Questions

Hey All,

My name is John and I live in SoCA. I have been lurking here for a while gaining information and knowledge. I am interested in building a mini bike with my kids. I am trying to get them off the couch and their iDevices, and learn something. I think a vintage looking mini bike fits the bill perfectly. My 13 year old son agrees. I want to build something from plans so I can show my son a methodology, how to follow instructions, etc. Then, when he gets the basics down, let his imagination go and create something from nothing.

It seems most folks on this site are into the Vintage bikes and I think they are great as well. I had a Honda 50 Monkey bike my grandfather gave me when I was about 10 or so. Wish I still had it.

I was going to go the Predator 212 route and use the plans from the smart kart website. Yesterday, a friend gave me a 5hp Briggs which I am now going to use for the project.

I have all the necessary tools to complete this project and am learning most aspects of metal fabrication from a friend who is converting my Suzuki Sidekick into a capable rock crawler.

Now for a few questions:

1.) Does my approach make sense using the plans I mentioned above?
2.) Are there any issues with my engine choice?
3.) I need to buy all parts except the engine. Is it advisable to purchase one of the kits offered without the frame or source parts individually? (I have looked at the various Azusa kits from OldMiniBikes Warehouse)
4.) I was going to mod the Predator engine and have read MANY threads about how/what to do. Now that I have the B&S I am not sure if the same mods are appropriate. Any thoughts here?

Sorry for such a long first post, just trying to educate myself before I make any big mistakes.

Thanks for looking,

John

The Briggs is fine althought the saft looks to be 1''? The clutch would be costly if it is and it might be better to go with the Predator. I would look for an old bike and rebuild it rather than a kit. Either way is a good idea to get your kids off the couch though. You have a neighbor that has many many bikes and might let go of one??? JamesC check with him he a very nice guy.

The Briggs is fine althought the saft looks to be 1''? The clutch would be costly if it is and it might be better to go with the Predator. I would look for an old bike and rebuild it rather than a kit. Either way is a good idea to get your kids off the couch though. You have a neighbor that has many many bikes and might let go of one??? JamesC check with him he a very nice guy.
Thanks for the response Toy, I appreciate it. I haven't measured the shaft diameter yet, I will tonight. I will look for some posts from JamesC.

thanks again.

CarPlayLB

Hi John...and welcome to the madness.

awesome deal gettin the kids of the i-crap...too late for me and mine, but I am rooting for you!

Part of my mini bike experience is the hunting of parts. This Sunday in Long Beach at Veterans Stadium is the cycle swap meet. There are lots of vendors, mostly with motorcycle related items, but there are also mini bikes there. In fact, I bought one off a member here. His name is MAC...he has lost more mini bike stuff than the rest of us will ever own! Mac is at the cycle meet on occassion, with other surly characters like Guardrail Dave and Evil Ed. Craigslist also has some deals...try there first. Doodlebugs seem to be everywhere and might be a good first choice as there are lots of resources available. I like the older stuff. Be careful with what you buy...something that has a bunch of welds and repairs is not a good first choice.

This website is an awesome resource...packed with mostly great people...and a few others. I have learned lots here and have interacted with some fine folks that I would otherwise never have met! Good luck.

Never ask Buckeye for advice on how to change a tire though...he don't know!

joshua. c.

you sed you need all the parts exept the engine, so why not buy a used rolling chassis off this site? just look under the parts section of the forum. pluss the vintage bikes are in my opinton are desined and built much better than the ones on the market today.

Thanks for the welcome and responses, keep em coming. I am busy this Sunday but will look for the next swap in Long Beach.

The main reason I don't want to buy something is my son has shown a real interest in learning to weld. I want to see him take a pile of metal and turn it into something he can ride/use. The other issue is I have no idea what I am looking at and don't want to buy a mistake. I can identify a chopped up, rough frame, but after that, no clue.

I figure if I start out with new parts, I have a better chance of successfully completing a project and will begin to understand what makes these things tick. Then I may be able to save a vintage project from the scrap pile.

Turns out Toy is dead right... My engine has a 1" shaft. Guess you all probably knew that. Clutch is twice the price of a 3/4".

Got my hands on an OLD SCHOOL horizontal band saw tonight for free. A little tlc and she will be ready for active duty.

Can I be successful building from the plans I mentioned earlier?