Is anyone else fed up with this?

Is anyone else fed up with people literally just joining to hock their crap? I've noticed a few lately that have been doing that.

Maybe I'm a little bit sensitive, but it's just rude as hell.

Figured I'd throw it out there, see if it bothers anyone else. It's just sh*tty that people take advantage of a free forum.

Sometimes their crap is another's gold.
While I understand that (I'm guilty of it), it just gets to a point where it's just frustrating to see people take advantage of the forum like that.

If you're just trying to sell something, take it to CL or Fleabay as Buckeye said.

Like the guys posting CL ads in the "CL/Ebay" section, they have all of two posts, and the first thing they're trying to do is sell something by linking their ad (and it's USUALLY pretty apparent right off the bat what's going on).

And then you get people like the guy with the Tecumseh "Star" who pop up, and then drop it after people start asking questions. They don't contribute a damn thing to the forum or at least introduce themselves. I just think it's rude as hell.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being whiny.

Last edited:
I like the "whats it worth?" questions. Then you see it for sale on CL or EvilBay.
That too. I don't think anyone here is really comfortable being used as a free appraisal service to some Joe-Bob that found something in the dump just to make a couple of bucks on the thing (one post wonders, anyone?).

And that's why I agree with the "No appraisals" rule. Kind of kills the fun for people that want to use people on here for free & then flip something on CL or Ebay.

gbabins1

Ahhh, I figure that they probably don't even realize they're are doing anything wrong or breaking any rules. They probably just Googled mini bikes and this site popped up, they joined and got the info they wanted. If they stuck around for any length of time they would learn some of the etiquette.

I agree with the last comment. I never tried to sell anything but this site is what I googled and came to trying to research the Rupp I found on CL a while back. I didn't know anything about them or what they were worth- Heck- I had never even seen a minibike before I went to Sears a few years ago and bought my kid a motovox. All we had as kids was homemade stuff, Honda odyssy's, bigred's and snowmobiles. I didn't understand all the forum rules and probably violated a few by asking questions in the wrong sections. I didn't even realize there was an introduction section until about 6 months later after I became a supporting member. Maybe I should go back and make a newby post :shrug:

Doesn't bother me if they actually list it in the OldMiniBikes classifieds but it does if it goes straight to Ebay or CL.
Agreed...

Double edge sword though.

One side is the guy who came across it and wants a mini bike guy to have first dibs. Like a nice Toe Gote found at a Estate sale and he wants me to take it off of his hands cheap!!

The other side is the guy you dislike.

I see the same thing with cars. Barrett Jackson auction being televised has ruined classic cars! On the one hand it makes my 67 Tempest worth a lot of money. On the other hand it makes everyone elses junk Tempest worth a lot of money.

American Pickers has done the same with anything Americana. So in the new internet age of "what do I have" and "whats it worth" questions being answered instantly you kinda have to take the good with the bad.

Plus, what should we say, you have to have a minimum of 15 really helpful posts before we let you USE the forum? Or a minimum waiting period before we can buy said bike?

I would rather get rid of the people who only post negative crap anyway..

$0.02..

Dave:shrug:

P.S. if you have a Tote Gote cheap, PM me.. Ill keep quiet about the sale.....

Doesn't bother me if they actually list it in the OldMiniBikes classifieds but it does if it goes straight to Ebay or CL.
I agree with Andy, I have bought, sold and given away parts from and to members :thumbsup: But when they just come here and go straight to E-bay and ask a mint :doah: it pisses me right the f:censure: off :doah:

Gatecrasher

A lot of forums handle the issue by restricting all sales to a "For Sale" section.

Then in order to be able to post in the section a user must have at least 25 posts (or whatever you want to set the threshold at).

If the user has less than the minimum required posts then they can only read the ads. Of course then there will always be some newbies who will post a bunch of BS just to get their post count up. When that happens, the moderators step in and delete the BS posts and force the user to post some real stuff.

Then there will always be some clown who will post a for sale ad or a "veiled" for sale ad in the wrong section to get around the rules. That's when they are either reported by other members or a moderator sees it and the post is deleted and the user is warned. One more offense and they are usually suspended.

Just a suggestion. That is the way it has been handled on my car forum for over ten years now and it seems to work pretty good. Prior to that we'd have these vendors come in continuously masquerading as real posters, post one ad and then we'd never hear from them again. Sort of spammed the forum.

I like when they ask about their chinese bike that they just paid a bunch of money for and get shot down right away :laugh: But sometimes its easier just to ask than sift through thousands of pictures to try and find out what you have. You cant put something for sale without knowing what it is or how much to charge. It might get annoying but would you rather see nothing for sale and let it rot behind their shed or scrap it because they couldnt get any info on it

Is anyone else fed up with people literally just joining to hock their crap? I've noticed a few lately that have been doing that.

Figured I'd throw it out there, see if it bothers anyone else. It's just sh*tty that people take advantage of a free forum.
Efforts are futile...too many greedy members thinking they can score something great from a newbie. But funny part is..most the time someone else tells them the value since they can't get it. And it ends up on Craigslist or E-bay for some crazy price. And the same people defending it..end up complaining about it after. This has been a long time issue...and will never change..cause human nature will never change.:hammer:

Itype2slo

Just never use the words rare, valuble or highly desired bike when telling them what their bike is. Thats when the (I am going to restore it with my son) story runs to ebay.

You joined a OldMiniBikes website cause you like old mini bikes but are mad when someone signs up and sells an old mini bike. Doesn't make any sense. You have a better chance getting something cheaper here than eBay. I like when items are for sale in the classified section because there are no vintage mini bike stores where I live, so besides eBay this is the next best source

CarPlayLB

When I first started selling a few things here, I went and signed up for the membership. It did not feel right to use someone elses site to sell my junk...and still cheaper than eBay fees! Maybe do two levels of membership. Have a $10 option to post things for sale?

...and I did just pay up again!

Last edited:
While I understand that (I'm guilty of it), it just gets to a point where it's just frustrating to see people take advantage of the forum like that.
........ They don't contribute a damn thing to the forum or at least introduce themselves. I just think it's rude as hell.

I dunno, maybe I'm just being whiny.
i once joined a diesel bus forum because i had a brand new part that on the open market was pretty expensive, $300.00. i knew it was expensive because i researched before joining. anyway, i posted it in the for sale section, a few asked why did i join, told them why and sold the part for half price.
i feel like i add nothing to the club, and i joined knowing NOTHING, i still feel that way but there are a lot of good people here, some good fabbers and a lot of good information and ideas here.