Is the Heald VT-1 same as a Heathkit?

All this time I thought I had a Heathkit boonie bike until I looked the the ads.. When I bought my "Heathkit Boonie" the original owner gave me a clutch cover that said "Kits by heald" on it..

So do I have a Heald VT-1, or a boonie bike.. Or "same thing" type of deal?

I did some more digging.. It is NOT a Boonie Bike.. It is a heald VT-1 woith the Rear bag option!! seen here.. I'm glad I kept that cover!..

Last edited:

MNGB

Good looking VT-1 glad you posted the pics I wanted to see what a VT-1 looked like, I have a VT-3/5 Trail Bronc and a VT-7 Super Bronc. Just finished installing lights and a light switch on the Super Bronc took it for a test drive the more I drive it the better I like it.
GB in MN

I'm of the understanding that Heald absorbed Heathkit. Ron Kimball would know for sure. Thats a nice bike you have.
Is this the First model Heald? I'm not too sure when the Heathkit boonie's came out.? From what I have read the Heald's rear axle mounts differ from the Heathkits, Maybe rear fender as well?.

I never knew of a VT-1 because you never hear them mentioned.

I just got off the phone with Ron.. What a Awesome guy. He was Very excited when I told him I had a possible VT-1. He said this was Carl Healds FIRST bike produced in very few numbers after he obtained the rights from Heathkit. It is a 1969 model. Produced for only that year. :thumbsup:

delray

i notes one other thing too. the boonie bikes had a different tread up front, kind of like a saw tooth tread design. yours has the same tread design as the rear. just like the brochure ad:thumbsup: also the early vt-7's that were made in the late 60's early 70's only use that kind of tin cover. making that bike lates 60's just like ron said:thumbsup:

i notes one other thing too. the boonie bikes had a different tread up front, kind of like a saw tooth tread design. yours has the same tread design as the rear. just like the brochure ad:thumbsup: also the early vt-7's that were made in the late 60's early 70's only use that kind of tin cover. making that bike lates 60's just like ron said:thumbsup:
I probably could have avoided confusion If I just looked at the fine details on the Clutch cover instead of just throwing it aside in my garage thinking it was for a bike I did not own.(I just saw this while talking to Ron earlier) It says at the very bottom in tiny letters MODEL VT-1.. DOH!:doah:

What got me digging is I was going to sell the clutch cover to a guy with a Trail bronc and I wanted to make sure it was the correct one for his bike, but then I ran across the VT-1 brochure online.

I'm very glad and was very happy when Ron asked me what model I had and I said "I think a VT-1" and he said " VT-1? Wait.. did you say a VT-1! you got a rare one there, where did you manage to get that?" He sounded pretty intrigued as was I.

I'm glad it is a Heald and Got to talk shop with Ron. What a all around nice guy and a great help. Now To restore it as it came is my goal (same color/parts)

Last edited:
I have at my house a VT-1. I wish it was mine but it belongs to a friend of mine. It came with a pile of paperwork as well as the original sales receipt, dated in June of 1970.

I have some more pics in my albums, plus I scanned in all of the paperwork and brochures.
My buddy (who owns this bike) also has a few boonie bikes, when you put the two next to each other they look very similar.