Is this a good deal? 1971 Rupp

A guy down the road from me has this for sale. I'm not a 'vintage" guy and dont know much about the value of these particular bikes but for $400 is it worth it? Thanks.

Nope..not even close to worth it....motor and clutch totally wrong..and missing all the covers...And wrong shocks, etc. Basically looks like someone stripped all the valuable parts and sold them on E-bay. And then and painted it up to sell.

Its worth what you are willing to pay. To me I would not pay that much for that rupp. Not the original engine and I see some other things. Just my 2Cents:smile:

old-timer

Scamming Member
I would think so but as mentioned many times before on here, any bike is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I know I have spent more than a bike was worth and didn't care because it was something I really wanted.

Vic

Jamie1972

Agree with Cheezy1 Looks like a 71 Scrambler.....The Good...The bad.....And the Ugly.
The Good.. Frame,Swingarm,Rims,Fenders,tank,handle bars, cherry brake lever look to be orig.
The Bad.... The Repop. Seat, wrong rear shocks and Briggs engine.
The Ugly....Those horrible aftermarket "Dirt bike" grips and throttle and missing TC-1 Torque converter and cover.
id point these things out and offer 250.00

Good luck!

Thanks guys. Found it by chance as I was looking for parts for my next build. I was a skeptical since it has been sitting for sale for about a week now, but you never know what you might find.. thanks again.

Fat Boy got a real good deal !! For the subject bike, I would offer $250 cash; then sell the engine for whatever I can get ( $75.00 ?), and clean up the frame and sell it for $300.00. Good luck.

Nice...Good deal....What engine do you wanna put on the Rupp??
Hi Jamie, well... this bike is really trashed but I still think I got a deal for it. every bearing on the bike is junk and the left side bearing of jackshaft is gone. I priced out all of the pieces I could find (bearings, grips, cover, etc) and would end up putting in about another $250. not to mention i can't find a single tecumseh to put in and this briggs needs an overhaul, has gas leaking all over the carb, won't run more than a split second, and the clutch is locked up. I have a friend who works on briggs so eventually I plan to rebuild it and replace the carb with new.

Despite trying to keep it as is or at least in running condition, my intentions for initial purchase were to use it as a parts bike for my current project. I will be using the fork, wheel(s) & tire, tank and possibly some sections of frame. Oddly enough, my frame design when completed resembles what this scrambler looks like but has a horizontal engine mount, left side drive, and a lower profile. I know others may feel the same when I say it makes me ill knowing I will be chopping up a '71 bike, but the damage was done years before I got a hold of it and I dont have a budget to restore a bike that really doesnt seem to have much value to begin with other than its cool looks. thanks for all of your advice.

Jamie1972

That SUCKS! You never know what you get till you tear into it. At least you didnt break down and pay the 400.00.....Well......You know what you need to do now........:grind: :hammer::hack: And make something COOL OUT OF IT!!