Is this an Allison Chalmers

Yup It says Roper Corporation on. has id but it worn. It also had a license plate on it. Check CA DMV but they have no record of the plate.

Worth re-storing?

markus

Yes, I think the original engine number on those was a 143.615072 which was a Medium frame sized Tecumseh H50 (5hp), Pretty sure they used a 3 amp DC unit with rectifier on those.

The engine you have on there currently is roughly a 1985-1991 Tecumseh HS 4 or 5 HP small frame engine though. If you want to see at least one style of flywheel and alternator that fits that era engine (there were a couple that can fit it), I just sold and shipped one this morning that I listed FS last night on here. The pics are still up at least for a few days so either check my recent postings or look in the classified section under parts for it.

Yes, I think the original engine number on those was a 143.615072 which was a Medium frame sized Tecumseh H50 (5hp), Pretty sure they used a 3 amp DC unit with rectifier on those.

The engine you have on there currently is roughly a 1985-1991 Tecumseh HS 4 or 5 HP small frame engine though. If you want to see at least one style of flywheel and alternator that fits that era engine (there were a couple that can fit it), I just sold and shipped one this morning that I listed FS last night on here. The pics are still up at least for a few days so either check my recent postings or look in the classified section under parts for it.
Thanks. I will check it out. The guy told me this was the original motor. That is used to be white and someone painted it black.

markus

Thanks. I will check it out. The guy told me this was the original motor. That is used to be white and someone painted it black.
:) the tank, shrouding, and head design post date when that bike was made by quite a few years. On another note though The more I look at your bike I kinda think it was a tank on engine/small block (HS40) configuration from the factory though, Not the remote tank style like in the brochure you posted.

If there is no indication of tank mounts welded to the frame and if you pull some tape off that seat to find piping along the top edge of the seat separating the heat pleated top from the sides rather than a skinny center pleated section that runs up the center of the seat it was a tank on engine one.

I did find an engine number in my book they used one of those, it was 143.617092 and was an HS40. This thread and good photo was supplied by member smallbore a few years ago: https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-model-is-this.121388/ thankfully its alot cleaner of a shot than all I could ever find (only pic I have on file is posted in that thread) and his bike shown is a solid example of one.

cfh

The 10" wheel models are really nice. I restored mine, not knowing how it would all turn out (or ride). I was pleasantly surprised that it actually rides and handles very nice. It kind of shocked me. I choose a small frame HS50 for my motor (though technically it should have a large frame H50 motor.) But frankly the HS series fits a lot better on this frame, and it's more comfortable to ride. Choose a white motor color, though tecnically i believe it should be black (just like the look of the white better.) I also made some other mild changes to the design, like using a TAV20 torque converter reissue and modifying it to use a DB disc brake. Also changed the position of the rear shocks slightly, which gives a nicer look and probably a bit more travel. Also different longer front springs too.

:) the tank, shrouding, and head design post date when that bike was made by quite a few years. On another note though The more I look at your bike I kinda think it was a tank on engine/small block (HS40) configuration from the factory though, Not the remote tank style like in the brochure you posted.

If there is no indication of tank mounts welded to the frame and if you pull some tape off that seat to find piping along the top edge of the seat separating the heat pleated top from the sides rather than a skinny center pleated section that runs up the center of the seat it was a tank on engine one.

I did find an engine number in my book they used one of those, it was 143.617092 and was an HS40. This thread and good photo was supplied by member smallbore a few years ago: https://oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-model-is-this.121388/ thankfully its alot cleaner of a shot than all I could ever find (only pic I have on file is posted in that thread) and his bike shown is a solid example of one.

I don't see any signs up tank mounting on the frame. Here a pic of the seat.

markus

Yea that's the 4hp version originally/tank on engine (#2 in the catalog photos on the "road a trail" marked ones and like the one smallbore has) Seeing as your in Cali I would see if he is still floating around in the mini/scooter world, He may be able to telly you if it was worth getting it licensed again. have fun with it!

Yea that's the 4hp version originally/tank on engine (#2 in the catalog photos on the "road a trail" marked ones and like the one smallbore has) Seeing as your in Cali I would see if he is still floating around in the mini/scooter world, He may be able to telly you if it was worth getting it licensed again. have fun with it!
Thanks markus for all the good info you gave me!

The 10" wheel models are really nice. I restored mine, not knowing how it would all turn out (or ride). I was pleasantly surprised that it actually rides and handles very nice. It kind of shocked me. I choose a small frame HS50 for my motor (though technically it should have a large frame H50 motor.) But frankly the HS series fits a lot better on this frame, and it's more comfortable to ride. Choose a white motor color, though tecnically i believe it should be black (just like the look of the white better.) I also made some other mild changes to the design, like using a TAV20 torque converter reissue and modifying it to use a DB disc brake. Also changed the position of the rear shocks slightly, which gives a nicer look and probably a bit more travel. Also different longer front springs too.

Nice Ride !