It does a dad's heart proud, (son shooting the SKS like a boss)

922r prohibits adding more than 10 of the listed imported items onto a semi-automatic sporting rifle. That SKS is totally factory, except for the stock, which was made in America.

If the gun is in violation of 922r, I would really like to know how, for reals, because I try to follow the law, be responsible, police my brass and shotgun shells etc.

WLB

After reading 922r I would say we are either governed by total idiots or extremely cunning people with evil intentions who devise meaningless regulations to trip up otherwise law abiding citizens and turn them into criminals. Does a person's mental attitude change into that of a killer when the 10th imported part is added to a rifle. Will he remain a responsible citizen with no desire to kill a human being with only 8 added imported parts. How does having the same 10 parts but American made stop the desire to kill and keep us all safe.

After reading 922r I would say we are either governed by total idiots or extremely cunning people with evil intentions who devise meaningless regulations to trip up otherwise law abiding citizens and turn them into criminals. Does a person's mental attitude change into that of a killer when the 10th imported part is added to a rifle. Will he remain a responsible citizen with no desire to kill a human being with only 8 added imported parts. How does having the same 10 parts but American made stop the desire to kill and keep us all safe.
Agreed!

MI Powdercoater, here is something I found which makes me pretty sure I am totally OK on this. It is a letter from the ATF to the NRA concerning what modifications can and can not be made to the SKS. I won't paste the whole letter, but the part that is pertinent here.

"Some guidance can be gleaned from a letter to the NRA from ATF Technology Branch, printed in the NRA magazine, American Rifleman May, 1994. It specifically mentions the following the following modifications of an standard SKS Carbine would not be violations of Title 18 USC § 922(r):

1. Replace the existing stock and handguard with a non-folding wooden or synthetic stock having either a Monte Carlo or thumbhole design. [See the discussion of pistol grips and thumbhole stocks.]

2. Attach a muzzle mounted recoil compensator, provided that the device is not also designed as a flash suppressor.

3. Replace the existing 10 round magazine with a fixed 5 round magazine or install a block in the well of the 10 round fixed magazine to limit its capacity to 5 rounds....."

I added the bold, as that is exactly the modification made to the rifle in the video. But yeah, the law is insanely confusing.

Last edited:

I love Sootch vids, but I think I'm OK with this, as ATF guidelines specifically approve the Monte Carlo stock. I should have pasted more of the article I found, where it does mention specifically adding collapsible stocks like the Tapco there, or high capacity magazines. That's where you get into 922r issues, and have to start swapping parts out galore to be compliant.

Got my SKS for 89$ brand new in the box. Wish I would of bought 20 of em. What 450$ now? Used.
I wish I had invested virtually all my money in the 90s in SKS, Mosin Nagant and AK rifles, then invested all my money 5 years ago in .22 ammo. I would have done better than my 401k.

Let's see, SKS in 1996 $90, now $400+, that's a 444+% return on investment.

We went shooting yesterday. I took some 240 frames/sec vids. I know some of you are into shooting. Check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGsEPCF_OAk

Great shooting skills. There's nothing like a father & son bonding over target shooting! When I was 8, I started out with a 410 /22 Over & Under and a Marlon 22. When I was 10, I went to an old Dbl BBl 12g. a Browning 12g pump and an S&W 38 cal. pistol and then progressed from there to the higher caliber pistols and rifles. Unfortunately, I sold all of my firearms 18 years ago when I moved in with my fiance at the time (now wife) to pay the security deposit, and the first and last months rent on our first apartment. Then before my wifes father passed away we used to take my oldest son to the Hernando Sportsman's Club just north of New Port Richy in Brookesville Fl. It's a really nice range and a lot of fun! My oldest son who was 9 at the time got really good with grandpa's bold action 22 and he graduated to a 30-30 the next year. I was so proud of him!

Shawn

Last edited:
I agree as well. All of this government propaganda is nothing but B.S.!!!! They are trying to strip us law abiding citizens of our right to bare and carry arms instead of protecting our rights. It's not the guns or the law abiding citizens we need to control, it's the idiot criminals with the guns we need to control!!

Shawn

Great shooting skills. There's nothing like a father & son bonding over target shooting! When I was 8, I started out with a 410 /22 Over & Under and a Marlon 22. When I was 10, I went to an old Dbl BBl 12g. a Browning 12g pump and an S&W 38 cal. pistol and then progressed from there to the higher caliber pistols and rifles. Unfortunately, I sold all of my firearms 18 years ago when I moved in with my fiance at the time (now wife) to pay the security deposit, and the first and last months rent on our first apartment. Then before my wifes father passed away we used to take my oldest son to the Hernando Sportsman's Club just north of New Port Richy in Brookesville Fl. It's a really nice range and a lot of fun! My oldest son who was 9 at the time got really good with grandpa's bold action 22 and he graduated to a 30-30 the next year. I was so proud of him!

Shawn
I would love one of those old over/under .410/.22 combos! It would be perfect for those walks in the woods.

Glad you got to shoot with your son. I started my son on a bolt action .22, I love a classic Winchester model 94 in 30/30, one of the most iconic guns ever.