JC Pennys / Bird Engine Selection?

I'm finally starting work on my JC Penny ElTigre. I wanted one when I was a kid and never got one, so I picked one up last summer only 48 years later.:thumbsup:

I remember that they had a Tecumseh engine so I installed a Tec HS50. No that the engine is installed, once I sat on the bike and with the foot peg placement, I am now wondering if the engine is correct for the frame. I realize I'm 60 years old not 12 anymore, but the right foot peg is a reach.

Can anyone confirm which engine is correct and if my complaint about the right hand foot peg position is warranted?
20150822_154738.jpg

markus

Thats pretty much it, the Tecumseh engine design from when that bike was made was just a little skinnier, but the fuel tank still sat in the same place so that later version engine you have still basically fits in the same spot as what it originally came with. Nothing will be a better fit, unless you were to move/center the engine and somehow install a jackshaft.

Most of the Bird bikes are notorious for this problem , on the 4 I have restored I've made slightly longer foot pegs to help with this

I was thinking the same thing. I'm building a war eagle ,suppose yo have a 4 hp tec. which I have but its too dang big. I'm settling e nice 3 hp 1967 briggs w/ small tank & it fits very nice! Mick I love the bird bikes!!