JcPenny Cat Bike - Starting Restoration, Have Questions

Hey guys, its been about a month or so since I've posted but I am about to start tearing into the old JcPenney Cat mini bike I found. I am totally new to these things (I restore antique Farmall tractors), so bare with me as I learn. The link to my original post can be found here (http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/what/81605-found-mini-bike-old-barn-help-identify.html) just for the ease of remembering who I am and what I'm talking about. I will also start a "restoration thread" when I get a chance. Although I'm not going to do a "Full Accurate Restoration", I guess you could call it a "Resto-Mod". More about all of that later on in the other thread. Now for some questions as I go through my parts list........

Q: Where do you guys recommend getting parts from (minibike specific and briggs engine parts)? I'm looking for good prices and a 1-stop-shop if possible to save as much on shipping as I can. Of course, I wouldn't want to pay a cheap price and the parts be junk, so give me your input on where to go.

I have found this site (www.gokartsupply.com) and see that they have alot of parts for engines and mini bikes. I have ordered the Briggs Starter Clutch Removal Tool from them already, and currently awaiting that to arrive. You think their engine & mini bike parts are quality?

I'm looking to purchase:
  • Handle Bar Grips (one with hand throttle)
  • Foot Peg Grips
  • B&S Magnetron Solid State Ignition Coil Kit
  • Starter Clutch
  • Centrifugal Clutch
  • Tires (2)

I will need to get some pictures and ask you guys, but I am sure I will need the B&S throttle linkage kit from that site too because I don't think anything is there.

The link to my original post can be found here (http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/what/81605-found-mini-bike-old-barn-help-identify.html) just for the ease of remembering who I am and what I'm talking about.
Hi Farmer, and nice to see you back. Hey, could you go to that first post and give credit to whoever gave you the best answer? There is a tracking system here that gives credit and a lot of the folks keep score. :thumbsup:

Q: Where do you guys recommend getting parts from (minibike specific and briggs engine parts)? I'm looking for good prices and a 1-stop-shop if possible to save as much on shipping as I can. Of course, I wouldn't want to pay a cheap price and the parts be junk, so give me your input on where to go.
This site is sponsored by OldMiniBikes Warehouse and their link is at the top of the page. They don't always have what you need, but they have most of it, and their shipping and customer service is top notch.

I'm looking to purchase:
  • Handle Bar Grips (one with hand throttle)
  • Foot Peg Grips
  • B&S Magnetron Solid State Ignition Coil Kit
  • Starter Clutch
  • Centrifugal Clutch
  • Tires (2)

I will need to get some pictures and ask you guys, but I am sure I will need the B&S throttle linkage kit from that site too because I don't think anything is there.
Here are a couple of suggestions from OldMiniBikes Warehouse. You'll want to verify them for your project. You can search the threads too, for Cat 250 or 2501 projects.

7/8" Throttle, 53" Cable, 3 Conduit Clips
Foot peg grips I get off of ebay. OldMiniBikes is out. 3/4"
Briggs & Stratton 397358 Ignition Coil
Briggs & Stratton 399671 Starter Clutch Assembly
#35 Chain, 12 Tooth - 3/4" Bore - Go-Kart & Mini bike Clutch
6" Mini Bike & Go-Kart Tires

I hope this helps. Lots of us have done the small frame Cats. You'll have to dig around for the Briggs linkage, and find a rear tire if you want to keep it Cat.

Thanks so much guys.

Why would I need to dig around for the B&S Throttle Linkage? Isn't it offered through OldMiniBikes Warehouse?

Yes, I am debating whether I should find another star wheel and keep them, or sell the one I have and buy some aftermarket polished wheels like on the OldMiniBikes site.

Thanks so much guys.

Why would I need to dig around for the B&S Throttle Linkage? Isn't it offered through OldMiniBikes Warehouse?

Yes, I am debating whether I should find another star wheel and keep them, or sell the one I have and buy some aftermarket polished wheels like on the OldMiniBikes site.
"Dig Around" means I didn't see one when I was looking up the other stuff for you. I don't use that motor on my Cats, or I'd have a quick answer. There are thousands of parts there. :shrug:

"Dig Around" means I didn't see one when I was looking up the other stuff for you. I don't use that motor on my Cats, or I'd have a quick answer. There are thousands of parts there. :shrug:
I understand. I just thought that you meant that part was hard to find or something. Thanks again for the information thus far.