Just Runnin'

BWL

[video=youtube_share;gx7wsmJ7T8M]https://youtu.be/gx7wsmJ7T8M[/video]

Motor is running well. This has been a good build. Not so much a hot rod, but bringing a GX 200 clone up to a performance level comparable to most traditional marine in engines of similar displacement. I think I have some advantages: open element air filter, free flowing exhaust, probably less restrictive than most marine outboards. I can turn up to 7,000 RPM where as most marine outboards in this class have 5,000 to 6,000 RPM operation, but I only run 5,000 most of the time. The rest is in reserve just in case I need to outrun a storm or something. Easy to work on. 9 to 9.5:1 compression like most marine outboards. All I did was raise thing up to that level of power.

Most 200cc outboards have two cylinders, so they have a greater advantage that way.

Last edited:

BWL

PAP, this is a 1236 jon boat. I haven't had a GPS on this powerhead, but performance seems similar to the Predator I built a year ago. It maxed out at 19 mph on a 6 inch Thailand prop. Longtail outboards need a narrow flat-bottomed hull to perform correctly. I plan to build a 1632 jon boat: something narrower, longer and deeper.

BWL

Well, all these motors nowadays are four stroke. However the old 2 stroke had more power because they had more power strokes per cycle. The modern four strokes have more power because they have two cylinders, achieving the same number of power strokes. My single cylinder has half the number of power stroke given the same time. However I can turn 7,000 rpm to match the same number of power cycles in time.

But I dare anyone to take a 9.9 Johnson through the muck and skinny water that I can.

BWL

MOD2, yup. MOD2 4eva! I wanted something easy on the valve train, stock lift, but added duration get the torque higher in the RPM range were it runs most of the time. I still haven't found a better do-all-do-everything camshaft as the MOD2. The BP-2 HT looks like the same sort of grind, but even more duration. I didn't want to run 26 lbs springs. I went with a MOD2 and 22 lbs springs, a happy medium between the two.

Sweet that motor looks like it runs great. I will be using my 196 from my mini later for a mud boat. Just installed 22LB springs in it for future mods and a flat top piston. Might be a good cam for me. Dose the boat perform just as well with another person in the boat weighing it down? Also have you experimented with different weight flywheels? I would assume a heaver flywheel would be better in this situation but don't know and am curious on your thoughts on this for when I replace flywheel. I like those BSP motors. They make a great starting point for a build. Great quality. I will definitely be buying another next time I need a motor for a project.

BWL

I can't fit another person in that boat with me. Honestly most guys run 390s for mud motors. I like the small-blocks, though: Parts are cheaper. The total weight is 500 lbs. That'd be like two 250 lbs people aboard. I plan to build a 1632 jon boat because a narrower hull has less planing surface, thus requires less horsepower to plane.

I've never run anything but an ARC flywheel. The big-block guys I know build 460cc motors from Vegas Carts. At Vegas they run heavy flywheels for golf kart racing. I figure ARC's flywheel is a middle weight unit. I figure it's best of both. I could see a heavy flywheel working well once it gets up to speed, holding that rpm longer especially if you want to do a lot of sharp turns or slugging through the mud or weeds.

Last edited:
Ya a 390 would be better I am sure but I already have a full size boat and will be using the small aluminum for shallow bass fishing with the wife. Its pretty much another excuse to have another 196 clone motor on something :)