Keeper on chain’s master link pops off while riding the Blue Angel.

f4radar

First time it happened l just thought the old chain had broken while I was beating it. I put on a new chain and after about 10 minutes of riding the chain just falls off and the master link is gone. I think maybe I oriented the keeper in the wrong direction so I grab a new master link and pay close attention to how l install it. After riding for another 10 minutes everything seems fine and when I put the bike away I look the chain over and the master link is there but the keeper is gone.
All I can see is that’s kind of telling is that the chain rides snugly on one side of the rear sprocket. It seems my only real adjustment is swing arm for chain tension and I can’t get the chain to favor anther position on the rear sprocket.
Is it normal for the chain to strongly favor one side sprocket? Any ideas?
I had a new link that uses cotter pins to hold it together so I don’t think it’s going anywhere now.

Triley41395

First time it happened l just thought the old chain had broken while I was beating it. I put on a new chain and after about 10 minutes of riding the chain just falls off and the master link is gone. I think maybe I oriented the keeper in the wrong direction so I grab a new master link and pay close attention to how l install it. After riding for another 10 minutes everything seems fine and when I put the bike away I look the chain over and the master link is there but the keeper is gone.
All I can see is that’s kind of telling is that the chain rides snugly on one side of the rear sprocket. It seems my only real adjustment is swing arm for chain tension and I can’t get the chain to favor anther position on the rear sprocket.
Is it normal for the chain to strongly favor one side sprocket? Any ideas?
I had a new link that uses cotter pins to hold it together so I don’t think it’s going anywhere now.
Could you possibly adjust the tire/sprocket wheel spacers if it has any? Maybe a wider chain?

f4radar

I've thought of
1. adjusting those spacer on the rear wheel.
2. put washers between the sprocket and the wheel to shift it over 1/8 in
3. modify the sprocket in the jack-shaft to relocate it slightly.
I just have a hard time believing fixed alignments have gone bad.

f4radar

I put a straight edge across my rear sprocket to the front sprocket and it was about a 1/4 in off. My swing arm need a little tug to one side to get it to align. Tightened it down and now the chain rides in the middle of the sprocket. Man I can sure goof away the day.

f4radar

Now I’m thinking I should loosen everything up that holds the rear tire, position the swing arm in the same position on both sides and tighten the front swing arm bolts first. Then see what play is available in the rear shocks and axle bolt to get the sprockets to align.