larger mini bike recommendation for taller guys.( Not fat tire )

I know there are many many vintage mini bike manufacturers out there. Some are designed for kids and some larger. I am 6'6" tall and looking to build a pit bike for when I go to track with friends. My concern is with suspension bikes I may bottom out rear shocks due to me being 275lbs. So my best guess is I am looking for a larger frame mini bike with solid rear suspension, possible front suspension that I can transfer my parts from this Azusa to. It also looks as if any mini bike with jack shaft does not allow room for TAV2 unless rear wheel mounts are re-located.

Just adopted an Azusa from a neighbor. Had a cracked block Tecumseh 3.5 power stroke, TAV2 torque a verter with a nice set of 8" rims/tires. Has the straight bars rather than curved they sell now and has limited knee room. I can purchase the new bars for $35 but still a small bike. Got a scratch/dent 6.5 Robbin motor from small engine warehouse to utilize.

Please educate me on my best options. Many look similar in size in pics. Only ones that seem a bit larger are Bonanzas. True?

Thanks for any insight. Now that I am done with car restoration onto next project.

Dan

Great idea but with the thin tubes of the Azusa not sure I would trust cutting them and re welding them with my weight. Not looking to go trail riding ..... But you never know. Hoping to find a vintage set-up I can use as is. If the Robbin 6.5 will be sacrilegious to put on a vintage bike I can always sell it with the Azusa when I build it up.

You will find the same tubes on most of these minibikes. They were originally designed for kids. I am 6'2" and 205 and been riding mine offroad no issues. Even some small jumps.

Got any pics so we know what you are working with?

Larger frame wise a Heathkit Bonnie bike may work ...

I weigh 270 and my Heatkit Hilltopper is my go-to bike ... suspension never bottoms, low end torque, very comfortable ... does everything I need it to do!

Last edited:
I was making suggestions so he could use what he had, since going to a bigger bike, he probably wouldn't be able to use many of the parts from the bike he has.

If you want a bigger bike, I vote Super Bronc.

Thanks for all the input guys. However, something huge like a Super Bronc would be great but two problems 1- I live on Long Island with limited places to run them ...... And its primary use initially will be as a pit bike when we run our cars at SuperChevy and alike. Its got to be easy to bring along. The balloon tired ones you mention would be difficult to transport when sharing a trailer with car.

Looking to reuse the 8" rims/tires I have. Not sure how yo post pics here or i'd post a pic of my Azusa. Guess you have to set up a photo hosting site. Never did before.

Dan

PS saw the MTD 300 SS that sold here last month and wod have loved that one. Oh well. I am in no real rush. Want to restore the right bike. Bonanzas and long fram Ruttmans look like they may be biggef too?

And this is exactly why I said to add a few inches to the wheelbase by stretching the frame you have. Definitely the most economical and you can make it the way you want.

Pics can be uploaded onto OldMiniBikes. Photos tab above.

OK. Will look into a welder locally. Not something my friend that does minimal is willing to take on. Besides I believe you would need a better welder than the one he has.

Assuming stretch is added in front of motor plate as to not effect any other geometry and where do you suggest to stretch top tubes? This fix will help me stretch out a bit but arent the other frames a bit taller too? I am just getting back into this and solely going by pics. Havent seen any in person as some of you guys have.

Dan

Last edited:
My little wire feed welder is adequate to the slug and splice method fisty shows above.

The easiest way to deal with an Azusa is to weld some foot pegs way forward, and slap on some taller bars. Unless you are keen on doing a large-scale mini bike project, that's what I would do. I wouldn't invest on a TAV for that particular bike. In the end, you're going to have a hacked up Azusa with several hundred dollars invested in it, and may find it still doesn't meet your needs.

A Powell would be perfect, though they are ugly. So ugly, they look cool. Pure function, 8" wheels, not a fat tire bike, full suspension that you wont collapse.

Havasu Dave- contentious as usual. LOL.. and my two cents worth.

fistfullabar

My little wire feed welder is adequate to the slug and splice method fisty shows above.

The easiest way to deal with an Azusa is to weld some foot pegs way forward, and slap on some taller bars. Unless you are keen on doing a large-scale mini bike project, that's what I would do. I wouldn't invest on a TAV for that particular bike. In the end, you're going to have a hacked up Azusa with several hundred dollars invested in it, and may find it still doesn't meet your needs.

A Powell would be perfect, though they are ugly. So ugly, they look cool. Pure function, 8" wheels, not a fat tire bike, full suspension that you wont collapse.

Havasu Dave- contentious as usual. LOL.. and my two cents worth.
Slug and splice nice!!!powells are ugly but are built stronger and are innovative plus it has running boards:thumbsup:

Slug and splice nice!!!powells are ugly but are built stronger and are innovative plus it has running boards:thumbsup:
That's what I call it, lol. I also drill the end of the tube into the slug and rosebud weld it. Just because a smart guy told me to. :laugh:

I just took apart my Powell, and I was impressed by the inherent design of the thing. It's a love/hate relationship. If there was ever a bike I'd put a Honda motor on, this one is it. (I'd never put a Predator on anything but a trashcan lid, because a guy has to stand for something, right?) :laugh:

Thanks guys. Contemplating. BTW the TAV2 was on the bike when I got it FREE , along with 8" 6 spoke wheels and new 8 x 4.80 tires.
Gathering info before I make a hasty decision.

Being 6'6" tall looks like any fram I get or the Azusa will have to be stretched (under $100) since I got the rest of bike for free not an issue. I can sell off what I dont use to help pay for project.

Dan