LED Brake/Running Light with Turn signals and Handelbar Controller Install, PIC HEAVY

Studz Hardware Studz Powersports & Hardware is located in Dearborn Heights, MI. Shop our large online inventory. was selling this Kit for $50, I bought 2, it was $116 delivered.
It came with the handlebar controller, light bar and a flasher relay.
The light bar has a tape backing to stick it to whatever.

I bought these kits to put on my 2 1970 Heathkit Hilltoppers.

The control had a cast nub to go in a hole in the handlebar for anti rotation ...

I didn't need it so I ground it out ..

I needed a place to mount the light bar so I made this ...

The brake cable barrel is 3/8" ... the hole in the brake handle is a little smaller than that ...

We are also lacking a cable stop ...

I needed to mill the brake handle for the barrel .. I couldn't find a good position to clamp the cast aluminum handle in the vice of the mill so I tapped a hole in a scrap block and mounted the handle to it .. yep, I broke a tap in the block in the foreground ...

It was milled 3/8"

So now the barrel is to wide to drop down fully in the milled hole. I didn't want to mill any deeper than it was from the factory as I was concerned I might weaken it.

I chose instead to grind one end of the barrel.

Fits now!

Who doesn't like to see a mill running!

Cable stop opening was just under 3/8"

Made my own cable adjusters ..

Ended up not using them .. I used the ones from the brake handles that were on the bikes.

The white pin pictured is the brake light switch ... it was way to long, the handle would be 1/2 way to the hand grip before it activated the brake light ..

... so I ground it ... a little handle movement trips it.

I don't like the angle the brake cable comes out of the stop but it works ...

This is just the running light ..

Twins! Yes they both have moped stickers and are street legal ...

Gotta have a battery to run the lights ... I made the battery boxes a few weeks ago because I needed a horn.

I wanted to use the lighting coil but it just isn't up to the task. Even at full revs the LED lights never got as bright as they do with a battery.

So now I have Running/Brake lights, Turn Signals and a Horn.
The Headlight and Original tail light are run off the lighting coil.
The original brake light is disconnected.

I have 2 mirrors coming this week to fit in the 8mm hole in the top of the controls.

Maybe I'll make a video showing how it works ...

Last edited:
cant believe nobodies commenting on this?
besides the beeman

great writeup and ty for sharing.
also,id like to ask what battery you use,and what your avg was,
did the battery last for a good while or drain fairly fast?

im setting up a similar concept,using the police lights they put in the grilles/the white/amber ones.
had just bought a motorcycle battery and was hoping that would be sufficient.
final question,hope im not being a bother but,howd you get those reggied as mopeds?

cant believe nobodies commenting on this?
besides the beeman

beekeeper is my brother, mom always beat him senseless unless he supported me, old habits die hard ...

id like to ask what battery you use,
I got them off Amazon, 2 batteries for $20 ...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PT81P0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and what your avg was,
did the battery last for a good while or drain fairly fast?
I just put it together and I don't know about the longevity of the battery .. I bought them with just running a horn in mind.
I just turned the running lights on at the top of the hour .. I am hoping to get 2 hours out of them before recharging.

I had considered putting a regulator/rectifier on the bike to charge the battery off the lighting coils but I don't think I will be riding them all day to need that and I'm not sure it wouldn't still need recharging, just not as often.

howd you get those reggied as mopeds?
One came with a title, the other didn't. for the 2nd bike I was issued a VIN#. I made 2 VIN plates with the corresponding numbers and mounted them to the bikes.
The acid test is if I get pulled over and questions are raised that don't satisfy the officer.
The 2 sketchy points will be the tires and the CC of the motor ...
But I think with an adult on it and the tons of mopeds in as many styles on the road it wont even be a blip on a cops radar unless I'm being a jackass .. which I am fully capable of!!

lol!
yeah well been there done that.
the staties round here say i need dot tires and turn signals n so forth.
the tires were easy and now the lights might be too,after reading your topic :thumbsup:

how did you get issued a vin tho?
im slightly confused there,did you make up a bill of sale as a moped n then turn it in?

how did you get issued a vin tho?
im slightly confused there,did you make up a bill of sale as a moped n then turn it in?
For me it wasn't hard to get a VIN issued ...I had 1 mini with a title .. I told them both minis were bought together but only 1 was titled at the time. They didn't give me a hard time.

Before the mid 70's numbers were not issued to ATV, mini bikes, ect ... with no Known VIN or any other numbers they can issue one with proof of ownership. A bill of sale and any thing else you can bring to prove it it yours.

I also said that when the bike was made in 1070 it would not have been considered a moped but under todays laws with the CC being bumped up to 100CC it now qualifies.

The following is a link to a PDF file of what qualifies as a moped in Michigan.
Under the letter of the law my Motor being over 100cc is the only criteria I don't meet and I don't think that will be noticed.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

did the battery last for a good while or drain fairly fast?QUOTE]

The tail light and one turn signal have been on for 4 hours and are still going .. I just shut them off ..
So 4 hours anyway ... long enough for me ...

[video=youtube;5Smu8bkY0P4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Smu8bkY0P4&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Can I ask how you connected the lighting coil up to power the led's? I am using the two coil Tecumseh lighting coil with each wire going thru a diode and a filter cap and even at idle it lights up brightly, and I have a brake led, taillight led and headlamp led for a car.

Can I ask how you connected the lighting coil up to power the led's? I am using the two coil Tecumseh lighting coil with each wire going thru a diode and a filter cap and even at idle it lights up brightly, and I have a brake led, taillight led and headlamp led for a car.
I just grounded the LED strip and connected the AC positive from the lighting coil.

But in the end I opted to go with the battery as it was already on the bike and it was an easy connection. The LEDs don't draw much power.

I didn't look into any other options ... but yours seems easy peasy!
I will put a pin in that for future reference ...

Got it, I had read about just using AC but some people had issues with early LED failure plus the led is lit only about 35% of the AC cycle, with the diodes and filter cap you have a somewhat steady DC source.